85 hp flywheel wont come off

timmydoodle

Seaman Apprentice
I took it off 2 weeks ago and now im trying to pull it again and i have broke 6 or 7grade 8 1/4 inch bolts doing the same thing i did before what the crap is up using pb blaster using a impact and taking my time hitting the puller then impact somemore it came off before and now tired of going to the hardware store. Should i try a big 3 prong out side puller now. Im all ears... i know it kinda sounds funny but one of the broken bolts hit me right in the forehead and bounced off talk about a hard head.lol so if your doing the same thing as me ,,, dont be a primative pete.. help what do you think??

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 hp flywheel wont come off

Don't mean this in a nasty way but a little puntuation and grammar would go a long way toward making your question more readable use the bolts again and put good force on the center bolt of the puller and apply heat to the center of the flywheel hit centerbolt with a hammer a big mother not the tiny 16 oz hammers carpenters use pbblaster will not help because it can not penetrate the tapered fitting on the flywheel so dont bother with it.

Jiggz

Captain

And since you are working on something that can have the potential of missile hazard or flying object, do at least goggles or better yet face shield for safety. I always throw in a rag on top of the center bolts just in case to stop or slow flying objects. And don't discount the magic of penetrating oil also.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Picture 006.jpgPicture 007.jpg

I "ONLY" use a 3 jaw puller.
Make sure that you loosen the nut and reinstall it loosely.
Tighten it with an impact till you think it's tight then a bit more.
Then hit screw with a good size hammer.
Keep hands and fingers away.
Of course safety glasses.
My boss was showing me how to do this,didn't use gloves and ended up with 14 stiches in his hand.

See my boom post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=558525

Last edited:

rich4240

Recruit

View attachment 153237View attachment 153238

I "ONLY" use a 3 jaw puller.
Make sure that you loosen the nut and reinstall it loosely.
Tighten it with an impact till you think it's tight then a bit more.
Then hit screw with a good size hammer.
Keep hands and fingers away.
Of course safety glasses.
My boss was showing me how to do this,didn't use gloves and ended up with 14 stiches in his hand.

i got mine off the same way pretty much i used a 3 jaw puller and tapped the edge of the flyweel with a brass drive 3 taps
and it poped off when it pops ware glases and wach your toes my flyweel hit the bolt so it dident come of but then the 5lbs puler droped on my foot