85 hp evinrude bogging down

problem is with a 1978 evinrude 85hp motor if you run boat at about 3/4 throttle it will run all day just fine if you open it up it will run strong then stumlbe pick back up and stumble over and over again ( REPLACED fuel pump,coils,gas hose,gas tanks,plugs) any input would be very appreciated. or you can email to bigkeebouskie2002@hotmail.com

Re: 85 hp evinrude bogging down

oh and to ad more info when motor bogged down i would pump the fuel bulb and it would pick right back up so i replaced fuel pump but still does the same thing that was my last try at it

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Big<br /><br />Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Maybe running the gas out of the bowls at WOT then stumbling back and bowls filling up again. May need to rebuild those carbs. Of course check the simple stuff first, gas, fuel lines, etc.

i'm new to this so sorry if i don't make any sence when the motor started bogging and surging again i noticed a coil wire had been spliced so i thought maybe the coil was cutting out under high load so i replaced coils (got a great deal on all 4) and plugs still had problem i tried to pump fuel bulb when it bogged and it helped as long as i kept pumping so i replaced fuel line still had problem next day i replaced fuel pump still had problem next day i tried new tanks(old ones are kinda ragged) and still have the problem as far as the carb rebuild i have never tired it before (but i have rebiult a 2 barrel ford and a 2 barrel chevy carb with no problems) and i was also wondering if the carbs are out of sync would that cause the inter. problem

Stassson

Seaman Apprentice

sounds just like my 1985 E 175 but that has a VRO pump omn it replaced that and runs perfect.. I had to prime bulb to keep it WOT. so sunds like you have fuel starvation problem going on.. Is there maybe a pin hole in the fuel line that is cuasing you tollos pres.? Good luck summer is here hurry up

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Big<br /><br />Rebuilding those carbs is pretty straight forward. If you've rebuilt any kind you won't have any problem but a manual seems necessary, at least for me.

i thank you ppl for your input and i'm going to ask for more lol if i have a clogged or partialy clogged high speed jet would pumping the fuel bulb make a differance and also if anyone knows an easy and safe way to clean the jets i have manual on the way but going camping the week of july fourth and the family wants to tube and also if anyone could point me in the direction of where to purchase a carb. rebuild kit online we only have one marina around here and they are known to be shady thanks for any help