85 HP Cable Adjustment

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, well I tackled my fuel problem and just by luck I now have no reverse. I brought it back home to take a look at it and now I'm confused. I have a mercontrol control box. It has the single big lever for F&R and the warm up lever. Here's the issue, I have the cables loose from the motor and only 1 cable seems to be doing anything, the top cable which is the one that controls the speed. The bottom cable, which is connected to the shifter on the motor, doesn't seem to move at all. It's stuck in neutral now. Any ideas on what's going on? Seems like these two cables would be linked somehow on the motor but they aren't. This is a 70 something motor.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: 85 HP Cable Adjustment

Sounds like your control box is damaged.

There are two rotating cams linked to the two levers inside the control box. THey are interlinked, and operate in tandem. When you first start moving the lever it should activate the shift cable before moving the throttle cable. Beyond a certain point in travel, the shift cable stops moving and the throttle cable begins to move.

The warm up lever advances the throttle cable just a little without engaging the shift cable.

Only operate the warm up lever when in neutral and never in gear. Doing so will damage the control box.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 85 HP Cable Adjustment

That's what I was thinking but wanted to get a second opinion before replacing all the cables and everything. Does anyone have a good diagram if I have to fix the one I have? I found out this is a 74 model so I figure parts are going to be hard to come by.