85 force prop should it move ???

timmydoodle

Seaman Apprentice
ok guys i have the motor running great so now i drained the oil out of the bottom pulled the vent screw and the fill screw like it says. not much came out so im going to go get oil for it. or should i say lube. Now i looked at the prop and no marks and i tried to move it up and down everthing ok there till i tryed moving it in and out ........Is it supposed to have like 3/8 play in and out???? and thats only where the or to the nut and washer that holds it on. In other words when you push or bump it in the clearence between the nut and washer that holds the prop on and the housing of the prop is about 3/8????????? IS THIS RIGHT????

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 force prop should it move ???

102_6374.jpg100_5944.jpg

No, you need a spacer. A couple of big plain stainless washers will do if you can not find the spacer. In the second photo you can see the spacer just behind the washer and nut. In the firse photo because of the different design I used two plain stainless washers behind the prop.

timmydoodle

Seaman Apprentice

ok so you put them in front of the nut and washer that holds the prop???

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it is a stock prop, you install the thrust washer first, next the prop, then the spacer or washers (7/8 id-- I think), then the regular washer and finally the prop nut.