'85 Force 50 won't pump water on muffs

giterdone72

Seaman
I have been running my Force 50 in a 33 gal trash can full of water in my backyard, and it seems to pump water just fine-i can see it in the bypass tube and out the exh. and it stays pretty cool. When I hook it up to muffs/ my hose I don't see any water in the bypass tube and none comes out of the exhaust? I get scared and just go back to the bucket. Anyone know whats up w/ that?:confused:

machinist

Cadet
Re: '85 Force 50 won't pump water on muffs

If it is running fine in the bucket you must not be getting enough water pressure in the muffs. Im sure you have it on full blast an the muffs fit fairly tight. Have you replaced the impeller in the water pump in a while?

giterdone72

Seaman

Its a new boat for me i've been restoring the interior since i got it I'm almost done. Haven't splashed it yet. I didn't changed the impeller because it pumps fine in a bucket, just concerned with not getting flow with the muffs ,with the hose all the way up-squirts out all over between bottom end/muffs when hooked up..

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Try getting new muffs. They also wear out and get hard like old hoses and lose their flexability and it affects the way they seal around the water intakes. The dual feed muffs are the best.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Tach and stuff 002.jpgThe 50 Force needs special muffs.They are a cut down version of the regular ones.
For some reason the big muffs don't work right. I'll take a pic of the muffs after I get dressed.J