85 Evinrude 140 smoke issue

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Spent a weekend fishing with the boat, kicker lost a coil partway through the weekend. Since I had trolled with the 140 before I trolled Saturday evening and Sunday morning with it. Smooth, trolling 1/7 to 2/2 with no issues. Pushing a Grady White Tournament 192. All of a sudden there was an enormous cloud of smoke from the motor. No alarms, plenty of water in the tell tale. Motor felt warm but not obnoxiously hot. Shut it down, it started right back up but my girl friend and I paddled it back to camp anyway to be safe. I am goingt to check it out later this morning but wondered if anyone had any thoughts?
Complete water pump kit new last summer. Prob 10 hours on it max until this weekend when I trolled with it.
Thanks much
Bill

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 85 Evinrude 140 smoke issue

It probably got loaded up with carbon (from the trolling) and expelled it, causing the smoke. I use Sea Foam mixed in the fuel which helps eliminate carbon build up. Excessive trolling can create bad things like broken rings and the Sea Foam will help prevent that build up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 Evinrude 140 smoke issue

If you have no alarms and the smoke appears again, open it up and blow it out and see what happens.