'85 150 Johnson lower unit removal

4strokesrule

Recruit
How do you disconnect the shift shaft on the outboard listed in order to remove the lower unit for water pump repair? Does it only come off at the linkage below the bottom carb? I've done a few Mercs and they are just splined.

Re: '85 150 Johnson lower unit removal

on the starboard side under the carb should be your linkage, undo the large bolt that the arm moves on then split the two rods apart with a screw driver wide enought to move the pin out and bar side away, then simply drop lower end, hope it helps

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I must respectfully disagree with ancyboater on this. The shift arrangment he is referring to is on an older version engine. However, on yours 4stroke, look from the starboard side below and to the rear of the lower carb. You will see where the shift rod engages the shift lever. There is a screw pin that holds the shift rod in place. Remove the screw pin. You can best get at it with a long 1/4inch extension and universal joint. It will take a 3/8 socket. But a piece of tape in the socket to hold the screw pin for removal and installation.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Ancyboater....last year for the double are shift mech was around 77' I think.

T-Bird76

Recruit

Anchyboater, snellnate, whatever...
just wanted to thank you for the info, mine is a 76' and I never had the lower unit off before(still haven't, but trying)
the book also says to shift to reverse to remove it. Is there ANYTHING ELSE, i've got to loosen/disconnect/remove/etc., before this unit will finally drop!