85 140 vro plug fouling

jethro 25

Recruit
Ok, VRO experts. My 85 140 fouls plugs bad.Have done oil-in-plastic-tube test at idle. pumps about every 7- 10sec hence excess oiling. BUT nip off line to carbs and pulsing stops (as it should) Dont say carbs are flooding, they aint. Whats wrong with the pump? Have disconnected and ready mixed now. runs ok again. I am an "A" grade auto tech with experience with outboards. Can't figure why the pump cycles so fast when you can stall it at outlet. any ideas, oh VRO gurus?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 85 140 vro plug fouling

if you have the original pump, that is unusual, there have been several updated pumps since that one. the oil side cannot be rebuilt. actually i have no idea what is wrong with it. i usually just disable the oil side and premix fuel/oil. until the fuel side dies, then either replace with a new OMS pump, or straight premix pump.

jonesg

Admiral

If theres a hole/leak anywhere in the fuel feed the pump senses greater flow than reality, then the oil feed triggers quicker. Loose fuel feed fittings can cause this.

jethro 25

Recruit

Pump may not be original. Has 4 wire warning sensors connected. haven't owned engine that long.Ran engine with oil plugged for 8-10 min to test warning sys. didn't work.Afraid I really don't have much faith in VRO. It's operating system seems overcomplicated and prone to problems one leaky valve and it will fault. Yes OMC have upgraded a few times. Tells me something?

jethro 25

Recruit

Thanks Jonesy. Good advice, but I ran a clear tube to inlet. No sign of bubbles.Never checked fitting where it enters pump tho. should be able to create fuel leak with bulb pump if sucking air yes?

jethro 25

Recruit

Sorry,still learning how to operare this site. Have run a clear inlet line to check this. No bubbles. why pump stops when outlet is nipped is odd. This is what it SHOULD do....