85 115hp Carb question

Fishin4fun

Seaman
I just replaced my 79 90hp powerhead with the 85 115hp powerhead, what a difference in performance! Anyway, she starts, runs and Idles great, only one problem, the top carb if I idle her for any length of time 3+minutes, starts to drip fuel rather steady right out the front. The little black funnel looking thing in the carb seems to be pushing more fuel out than is being used, and begins to overflow. It doesnt stall her or anything like that, just makes an awful large puddle, and with gas prices is probabley fairly expensive little leak I got going on. She doesnt hesitate or anything if I rev her up, and with an increas over 1200rpm the condition goes away, slowly but does improve and go away. Is this going to require a complete rebuild of the carbs or is there an adjustment that can be made? Already tried the screw to the right side of the carb, slowed her down but didnt stop it.<br />Any help on this one will be greatly appreciated.

MrWick

Seaman
Re: 85 115hp Carb question

Could be the float is sticking in the top carb.I have had all 3 of my carbs off in my 85 115hp and there aren't many adjustments except for the float.Your upper float could have a hole in it and not shutting off the gas when the fuel bowl gets full,not to many places for it to go after that happens.

LubeDude

Admiral

Yep, Mrwick has probably nailed it, Probably should go through your carbs anyway with the new powerhead and all. Kits are cheap. Get the needles and seats too.

Fishin4fun

Seaman

how difficult is a rebuild job on these things? I have never tackled a carb job before, but I learned how to rewire the powerhead and replace that, I can do an impeller, I am feeling brave, so is a SELOC manual good enough for directions or is there a better manual for this motor or for a carb job?

MrWick

Seaman

If your carbs were like mine it a fairly easy job.I had never had a carb off before and did not have any problem doing mine.If you get rebuild kits there is a number stamped on the carbs(3 digitsI think)you will need to get the correct kits.

MrWick

Seaman

If your carbs were like mine it a fairly easy job.I had never had a carb off before and did not have any problem doing mine.If you get rebuild kits there is a number stamped on the carbs(3 digitsI think)you will need to get the correct kits.