84' volvo penta Aq 125A

adam6482

Recruit
I recently bought a 1984 bayliner capri with a volvo engine (Aq 125A 4cyl). I have a couple of questions: The arm that raises the motor in and out of the water appears to be broken, and water is leaking in through the back of the boat where this arm is broken. The last time i had it out on the water we had to raise and lower the motor out of the water by hand. What is the name of the arm that controls the boat motor position in the water and how expensive will this be. Also, this is the first boat ive ever owned a boat and i wanted to know the reputation of the bayliner capris, and the volvo penta, also how fast will the Aq 125A pull my 15' capri. Thank you so much for your time. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: 84' volvo penta Aq 125A

Hi adam6482,<br /><br />125A refers to the motor, not outdrive.<br />What type of outdrive do you have? Volvos of that era had electric/mechanical lift or power trim (hydraulic). Need to know which one. <br /><br />As for bayliner, I don't know them but others here have commented before - hope you have thick skin.<br /><br />Aldo

adam6482

Recruit

Sorry for the dumb question but how do i tell which one it is. There is a switch near the wheel which is supposed to raise the prop in and out of the water. thanks again. Adam

adam6482

Recruit

Also, when i put the boat in reverse it lifts the prop out of the water...therefore getting nowhere. Is this problem related to my first question.<br />Thanks,<br />Adam

Dunaruna

Admiral

Do you have hydraulic rams on the outdrive (look like shock absorbers) or a single long rod with a flat foot on the bottom coming out of the left side of transom?<br /><br />Any numbers on the outdrive (270/280/280T/290)?<br /><br />The switch you reffered to could be for either system. <br /><br />Aldo

Dunaruna

Admiral

Do you have hydraulic rams on the outdrive (look like shock absorbers) or a single long rod with a flat foot on the bottom coming out of the left side of transom?<br /><br />Any numbers on the outdrive (270/280/280T/290)?<br /><br />The switch you reffered to could be for either system. <br /><br />Aldo

adam6482

Recruit

280 is printed on the outdrive, im not sure what setup it was. A metal piece is broken underneith the drive and it makes a clanking noise when the motor is started. The motor starts extremely easy its just that i noticed it was leaking water from the back of the boat and when we put the boat onto the trailer, noticed that the arm underneith the drive appeared to be broken and that also seemed to be where the water was coming in at. <br /><br />Adam

Dunaruna

Admiral

Adam, <br /><br />Sounds like you have the earlier tilt system (not hydraulic), they are weak and often break down if not maintained.<br /><br />New parts are available but you will need a fat wallet, sorry. Good news is that plenty of secondhand parts out there to be had.<br /><br />The tilt rod does activate the reverse lock but without knowing whats broken I can't say if both problems are related.<br /><br />If you are mechanically inclined, get a manual and study. If not, find a good mechanic. The reverse lock and tilt assembly are complicated to follow without a good manual to reference.<br /><br />Aldo