84 merc 50 hp carb leaking

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice
I've rebuilt my walbro carb, twice. I've put new gaskets all around, twice. The engine is running great, but I am leaking fuel on top carb. It looks like it may be coming from the bowl gasket and/or bowl screw. when I run the engine with the muffs on I can see the fuel leaking, but not sure it is the bowl gasket or bowl screw or both. I've replaced the gaskets twice, still leaking. My question, where else could it be leaking from?? Would a stuck float cause this? Like I said, the engine is running great on the lake. I've ordered the rebuild kit from iboats, and the parts match the carb exactly.

any help would be appreciated.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 84 merc 50 hp carb leaking

I've rebuilt my walbro carb, twice. I've put new gaskets all around, twice. The engine is running great, but I am leaking fuel on top carb. It looks like it may be coming from the bowl gasket and/or bowl screw. when I run the engine with the muffs on I can see the fuel leaking, but not sure it is the bowl gasket or bowl screw or both. I've replaced the gaskets twice, still leaking. My question, where else could it be leaking from?? Would a stuck float cause this? Like I said, the engine is running great on the lake. I've ordered the rebuild kit from iboats, and the parts match the carb exactly.

any help would be appreciated.
Yes a sticking float will cause the leak. solution is clean it out and inspect the float for gunk. Never leave gas in it during the off season.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Would a stuck float cause this?.....Yes it could....I had to replace needle n seat and reset float height to exact spec(important)to stop my flooding problems.Also test float is not saturated(foam) or cracked (plastic) and holding fuel.
Also check mating surface from bowl to body is not damaged.I also had a leaking bleed hose so double check its not a hidden fuel hose leaking.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

reset float height to exact spec(important)to stop my flooding problems.

This is what you need to do. If you dont have a book you can PM me and Ill give you the specs to set them at.