84 Four Winns quit HELP!

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My buddy just bought an 1984 Four Winns 19 ft. with a 2.5 liter Merc. Long story short, he put it in the water yesterday and ran it for about 30 minutes and then all of the sudden (after he loaded the family aboard) the rpm's started to drop and the boat stalled. He took it out of gear and the thing fired right up but would not go into gear....it didn't even "clunk" or give any indication that it was trying to either. He did tell me that the boat appeared to be running warm (at some points over 200) but it was running great. He is an ASE mechanic and knows all about cars/trucks...... but not boats and needs some help from anyone who may know something about this. Just for reference, he said that when the rpm's were dropping it was just like it was running out of gas (it was not). Oh, and just in case you were wondering how he got back to the dock, he needed a tow and if you knew his wife like I do I am sure that it was a very long and painful one! Any help/info would be appreciated. Thanks!

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 84 Four Winns quit HELP!

Download the Mercruiser manual in the adult's only thread.
It has a troubleshooting guide.

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have tried that twice and both times nothing comes up. I use the exact instructions (copy shortcut etc.) and still nothing. So............. anyone?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I followed the instructions, the download works for me.