'84 Evinrude 90 Started, ran, won't start again.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm working on getting an 84 'rude 90 HP V4 VRO started. I pulled both carbs and dumped the bowls (of their nasty contents) and purged out the fuel lines with good fuel. All afternoon yesterday however I couldnt' get it to start. It was cranking slowly so I figured it was the battery. This morning I jumped the starter from my car battery (bypassing the solenoid) and it spun faster and started after a shot of ether. It then ran and sounded fine. After about 5 minutes I shut it down to see if it would start again but with the key switch it was spinning entirely too slow. I jumped it again from my car and it started, ran for maybe 5 seconds, then died, and won't start again. It's still too slow with the key switch, and while it spins fast enough from my car battery, it won't catch or even cough or sputter. Could this still be a fuel related problem requiring carb rebuild kits or do I need to look elsewhere? Thanks for any insight!

D

DJ

Re: '84 Evinrude 90 Started, ran, won't start again.

First off: GET RID OF THE ETHER!<br /><br />ETHER is a death sentence for two stroke outboards. It has NO lubricating qualities.<br /><br />Second, remove and clean the negative battery cable from the engine block. Clean the bolt threads too.<br /><br />Your carbs may need to be rebuilt. I personally, wouldn't run it again until I did.<br /><br />If you get "NOTHING" when turning the key, look for a fuse near the starter solonoid. It is in a barrel connector that looks like a regular wire connector.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, no more ether. Already cleaned the negative connection at the block, and the positive connections at the starter and the solenoid. I do get a response when I turn the key, the starter just spins too slowly to achieve anything. I figure the battery's had it, which is why I was jumping it from my car.

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a similiar problem. Did you check to make sure that all of your wire connections to the motor are tight. Mine would just click and I discovered that the positive connection to the starter was loose. I tightened it up and it turned over like a champ.

D

DJ

Warden,<br /><br />You're on the right track.<br /><br />Batteries can be tricky.<br /><br />By "jumping it" you may have blown that fuse-not uncommon. That fuse will disable the ignition.<br /><br />Let us know.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So if the fuse is blown, it will crank over with the key switch but still won't start? Last year I blew a little fuse in there and it took everything with it. I had no tilt and turning the key did nothing. Now, the tilt works, the primer solenoid works, turning the key gets the starter going but it's just not fast enough to start the engine. I'll check it out though. Thanks.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Running now. New gas and new plugs did the trick so far. Who know's how it'll do in the water. Thanks for the help.