84 Evinrude 70 hp power trim problem

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just took on another project for one of my sons, an 84 Evinrude 70 hp. Trim and tilt worked when demonstrated on the former owner's boat. The engine was left in an "half tilt" position and transported on it's side in the truck where it stayed under cover until today (about 2 months). When I got it onto my engine stand and hooked up the cables I found it no longer would work. The pump motor runs but the unit does not move up or down and the motor seems to possibly not have any load from the pump.

I think I recall that these units were sensitive to the state in which they were stored or transported and that they might "freeze up (develop an air lock I'd guess).

Any one have any suggestions? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm where's they guy Joe from West Central FL... he knows about these things?

Steve

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 84 Evinrude 70 hp power trim problem

Loosen the manual release valve 2 turns (no more) and with the engine in the full tilt position, make sure the reservoir is full. Tighten the manual release valve.

(PTT Oil Pump Air Lock)
(J. Reeves)

When the PTT unit is as it should be, the electric motor runs, the manual release valve is closed, the unit is full of lubricant, and nothing works, the usual problem is an air lock under the oil pump Proceed with the following.

Engine in full tilt position. Remove reservoir fill plug screw. Insert a air nozzle up against the reservoir fill hole with rags (or something) packed around it to obtain a tight fit. Apply just a slight amount of pressurized air (10 psi resommended) to the reservoir. This will force the oil under the oil pump to remove the air lock. DO NOT go crazy with the air pressure (15 psi tops!).