84 Bayliner Neutral Safety Switch

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 84 Bayliner Capri 1950BR that I am redoing...

My problem is this.... The engine will not turn over when in neutral. I have continuity over the switch until power tries to go through it, then nothing. If I jump the switch, the engine will crank. So my question is, can I buy a replacement switch and replace, or do I have to replace the whole throttle assy.

There is really no markings on the throttle housing except 3L0302591, which a Google search returns nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it, thanks!

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 84 Bayliner Neutral Safety Switch

My Bayliner had the same problem. I simply sprayed some contact cleaner into it and it has been fine ever since. If that does not work a dealer should be able to find the switch for you.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If the control that came with your Bayliner is anything like the one that came in my 87, I would just buy a new control. It was a very low quality control and not worth fixing.

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

I bought some contact cleaner and that fixed the problem... But my control cable is bad now also, so gotta get a new one of those, but thanks for all the help.

SSummers

Recruit

I have exactly the same problem on my 2005 Capri. I have the contact cleaner but I am not sure where to spay it. Are you dissasembling this control and spraying the switch directly. I can normally move the throttle to a angle that starts the boat but I am sure i am on borrowed time.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I have exactly the same problem on my 2005 Capri. I have the contact cleaner but I am not sure where to spay it. Are you dissasembling this control and spraying the switch directly. I can normally move the throttle to a angle that starts the boat but I am sure i am on borrowed time.
Start your own thread with YOUR make & model of engine & you will get better results....;)
Though it seems like it may be the same problem, it might not or it might be a soloution specific to your engine....
Welcome to iboats, btw.....:)