84 50hp Merc

Fishin4fun

Seaman
Ok, I went fishing this weekend and what a frustrating experience. I can run the motor and man it runs like a raped date, just magnificent. But when I shut her off to drift or use the trolling motor it is 50-50 if she will start back up. There isnt any power going to the motor, I figure this as I can push the electric choke and there isnt anything, and turn the key and nothing. I can manually crank the motor with the old pull cord and she starts, (sometimes) and then after I pull the cord a time or two and go back to the switch often the electric choke will engage, and the starter will engage, and she starts right up and runs flawlessly. Is this an ignition switch going bad? Oh yeah, one more thing, The starter engaged once and wouldnt stop till I disconnected the battery. I had the key in my hand with the ignition in the off position, scared the crap out of me, thought I had a gremlin gettin ready to jump out of her! Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.<br /><br />Ed

Gus Mortimer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 84 50hp Merc

I had a similar thing happen on a car (talking about the starter continues to crank) the points in the back of the ignition switch had literaly welded themselves together! new switch fixed her right up. I would try that and see if that helpes the other stuff. <br /> Also, may sound stupid but are the battery connections clean?

Fishin4fun

Seaman
Re: 84 50hp Merc

Not stupid question at all, but yes, I ensured all connections were clean, wire brushed connectors before I went out on the water. The battery is only a couple of months old and is very clean also.