83Merc Pre-Alpha Outdrive Corrosion -help

BuzzM

Seaman
My 83 Merc pre-alpha outdrive has suffered significant corrosion in the past 2 years. Much of the problem is caused by my ignorance, I think.
1. I neglected to replace a broken ground cable that goes from part of the steering arm to the inside transom assembly ( about 1 year )
2. When I did my first bottom job 1 1/2 years ago, I should have left 1 inch clearance from that paint and the outdrive. I trimmed the paint right to the edge. My error.
2. After having bellows & gearcase resealed 1 1/2 years ago, I failed to really inspect the work before returning this boat to the slip. After hauling the boat last week, I discovered:
a. Anode that goes under the cav plate was missing. Gone. Was there originally.
b. Acorn anodes at base of of gimble housing was deteriorating.
c. The prop shaft seal looks like the inner seal ( you can see the spring ). I assume that there should be some sort of outer seal ??( not sure ). Fluid was not too bad when drained.
What I have done:
I have replaced the anodes, but could not locate a replacement ground cable. I fabricated one from galvanized steel, since I could not find stainless.
I sanded the remaining outdrive paint ( not much) and primed with Rustoleum professional with zinc phosphate. Then I applied 2 coats of Krylon rust tough enamel with " ultimate corrosion protection" ( sic).
I checked the other outdrives in the slips near mine and have not noticed excessive corrosion.
Another possible factor, I had new swim platform support fabricated. They are stainless steel.
I am reinstalling the bilge pump so no wires are immersed in occasion water.
Am I missing anything? My trim rams look terrible and I see white spotty pits in several places.
I am learning the hard way, it seems.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 83Merc Pre-Alpha Outdrive Corrosion -help

Here is a link to the OEM service manual section on Corrosion protection. Might look thru the section and make sure all of your continuity wires are in place.
You might also check what type anodes you are using. Lots of aftermarket ZINC anodes out there that may be doing more damage than good. Depending on rather you are in salt or fresh water, Merc uses Magnesium anodes in fresh water, and an aluminum alloy in salt..

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A7R3.PDF

There are a couple of service bulletins out about the anodes, I'll have to see if I can locate them again.

BuzzM

Seaman

Thanks a million for the link. This boat lives in Texas fresh water. I see that I have painted over at least two the anodes previously. Ignorance is expensive.
Another odd thing.. I just installed a new Solas prop that has a two piece brass bushing as part of the hub. I noticed a few flecks of white, mineral looking deposits at the place where the two pieces come together. I hope this isn't part of the same issue.
I will order a complete set of anodes and get everything grounded.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buzz - is that Solas prop SS? And, do you keep it in the water or trailer her? The anodes alone may not be enough with a SS prop & boat kept in water all season - you may need a Mercathode system or other electronic means. If you trailer, the proper fresh anodes & ground cable fix will probably be enough to keep it from getting that bad again.

enn858

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don - if you find those service informations i would for shure be happy to get a copy

I sail in Fresh water - but have been told to use aluminium anodes by my merc dealer - he tels me there is only the aluminum anodes avaible from Merc today - i am not shure he is right - he is a OK dealer but only used to boats runing in Salt water

BuzzM

Seaman

My Solas prop is aluminum. The boat stays in the water year round. During a more indepth examination, it is as if almost all the corrosion protection is missing. There are supposed to be continuity springs on the trim rams, not there. There is supposed to be a anodic block at the manifold junction of the trim hydraulic lines under the bell housing. And, the trim tab anode was missing; as mentioned earlier.
I hope the galvanized steel ground cable works in place of the broken SS one.
I ordered magnesium anodes based on Don's link he provided.
The rams are taking the worse corrosion hit. It is amazing how quick they are literally disentigrating. If anyone could explain how the ram springs go on, I'd appreciate it. I assume they attach at each bushng area.
Thanks for the assist.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buzz - the continuity springs in the trim cylinders are internal. Unless the cylinders are apart for rebuild, you wouldn't see them.