83 Merc 140 Shift Issue

UTgws

Cadet
Just replaced the impeller in the lower unit and now when I shift from neutral into forward or reverse it will die, makes for an interesting docking experience.:eek: As I have found a welth of info in the forums it looks like I have a lower shift cable issue. Is it common for this to show up after the lower unit is split to change the impeller? Or is it possible that something that I did in putting the unit back together put it in such a bind that it presents like a shift cable?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: 83 Merc 140 Shift Issue

Is it common for this to show up after the lower unit is split to change the impeller? Or is it possible that something that I did in putting the unit back together put it in such a bind that it presents like a shift cable?

It certainly does sound like the lower shift cable, and while it could be a coincidence, I would lean towards something not being put back together correctly.

When you changed the impeller, did you remove the entire outdrive or just the lower unit? Did you align the shift shaft on the lower unit with the intermediate shift shaft? In other words, with the control in forward gear, did you make sure the lower unit was also in forward gear when you put it back together?

UTgws

Cadet

I removed only the lower unit not the entire outdrive. When putting it back together I followed the instructions in the Merc service manual (6 I think it is).

Turn shift shaft clockwise and rotate prop shaft counter clockwise to hold shift shaft in the clockwise position.

Ensure that the shift shaft shoe in the upper half of the lower unit is facing forward.

When looking at the Seloc manual, it states that if the splins are off even one position that the shift can not be adjusted properly. This looks like it could be a possiblity of where things may have got off?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

That's a possibility, but the splines are pretty coarse - hard to really get it on wrong. Can you shift it in forward, neutral, reverse without the engine running? In other words, put your shifter in forward, then see if the prop locks in place when you spin it counterclockwise. Put the shifter in neutral - prop should spin freely. Reverse - prop should lock in place when turned clockwise.

If you can do that, it means it was put together correctly, and then I would suspect a bad or mis adjusted lower shift cable.

UTgws

Cadet

That is kinda what I thought but, as my wife keeps reminding me, I have been wrong before.....

It does shift into forward and the boat move forward, in neutral it will slow and stop, in reverse it will back up. It just is a major issue getting it to shift into gear or out of gear and stay running. That kinda sounds like the symtoms of the shift cable, but it was odd that it showed up after the impeller replacement.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

1983 and you never replaced the cable before? Very lucky.More than likley that's the culprit.Jerry