82 ranger 370 sitting for 2 years - old gas-advice?

Big_Tom1

Cadet
I am looking at purchasing a 82 ranger with a 82 merc 150 on it. boat is ultra clean, trailer has a new factory paint job. Motor is clean. The only concern of mine is that it has sat for 2.5 years with the same gas in it and no stabilizer. The guy I might buy it from ran it this past fall. He said it started, but would only idle. Is this a reel problem or just a simple fix. The whole rig is only $3000. Seem like a good buy.<br />Any opinions would be greatly apprec. I know the guy so I trust he is telling the truth.

rons boat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 82 ranger 370 sitting for 2 years - old gas-advice?

Carb cleaning is almost a must. Get the old gas out by opening the individual carb drains and try to run Seafoam thru your engine as it says on the can. Get rid of any gas in the fuel tank, lines, bulbs etc. If it runs ok after that you are lucky but it probably is not worth the risk as one stopped up carb can ruin its associated cylinder (by runing too lean and not properly providing lubercation). Carbs are best cleaned by someone who does it regularly and in my area that is about $40 a carb. Never let gas stay in a carb, run it out each day, as the engine sits in the sun and it cooks out leaving the Saudia Aribia Landscape and Gunk inside. The only way to leave gas in your carbs without doing damage is to use Aircraft 100LL gas (refinery stabilized without aeromatics) and that can only stand one season. A lot of people including me are having trouble with the stabliity of car and marine gas as it contains octane boosters which readily evaporate out and leave the undesireable residue that stops up the jets on your carbs.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 82 ranger 370 sitting for 2 years - old gas-advice?

Big Tom:<br /><br />You don't mention the specific equipment on the Ranger you're looking at, 82's average in price right at $1400-1800, so add the trailer and motor and you've probably got a great deal. Check out used vehicle/boat/trailer and motor prices at http://www2.nadaguides.com/ remembering that retail prices at the high end are dealers offering warrantee and financing.