'82 Mercury 40hp

Smedley

Cadet
Forgive me if this has been asked before. I did a search and didn't find it though. <br /><br />I have the above mentioned motor on my '82 Tracker. This motor sat for almost 3 yrs before I rescued it from my dad. I have replaced the fuel filter, gas tank, impeller, and lower unit oil. Is there anything else I should do to it. I have been running it since mid-July with very little problems. <br /><br />The only thing I still have is a hesitation when I go from mdi-range idle to full throttle. I've been told it could be the carb jets need to be cleaned, but I;m not real comfy with working on carbs and refuse to pay the $200 fee for a tune up at the local marine shop. <br /><br />I have the maint manual for it and have the idle and throttle adjusted the best I can with no Tachometer.<br /><br />Any suggestions?<br /><br />BTW...thanks for having me on the forum!

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: '82 Mercury 40hp

It could be something as simple as an adjustment of the low speed jet.<br /><br />Generally a bog will mean a lean condition (not enough fuel)<br /><br />Look in the manual it should show the adjustable low speed jet. Open it 1/8 of a turn on each carb..then try it out.<br /><br />TMD

Just Jed

Seaman
Re: '82 Mercury 40hp

Try some additive designed for cleaning fuel systems on two stroke engines.<br /> Use an additive that you actually put in the fuel as opposed to one that you just spray into the throat of the carbs. The former cleans all components in the system where the latter bypasses the tank, lines, float and bowl, jets, etc.