'82 Mercruiser

Speedo

Cadet
Fellow boaters,

I recently partnered on a 1982 Webbcraft 23' cuddie. My partner has owned the boat for 20 or so years, is widowed, but wanted to hang on to the boat for the sake of her children (2 teenage boys). We, and our kids, get along famously.

3rd weekend out I twisted a u-joint and busted up the housing. I have had that replaced but was wondering:

What other maintenance and/or replacement parts should I consider on a boat this age?

Thanks,

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: '82 Mercruiser

Welcome speedo. It's always tough to become a partner in someone elses ill maintained boat. As luck would have it, you take it out and it breaks on your watch. Then you pay.:%

I highly recommend that you get a factory manual for that motor drive combo. It will spell it all out. It would be a little tough to outline it all here.

There are several sources for FACTORY manuals including ebay. I got mine there for $17 shipped. You just have to be patient and keep watching. Here is a list to identify the manual/s you need.

http://mercruiserparts.stemtostern.com/Mercruiser/mercruiser_service_manuals.asp

Speedo

Cadet

Thanks boom.

It is actually a fairly well maintained craft. Knowing what I know now, I should have been able to tell the the u-joints were toast the way that they groaned on a hard turn.

Anyway, transom is solid, cables are good, motor is strong, outdrive seems tight.

Just wondering what I should check during the winter hiatus.

TIA

D

DJ

-Manifolds and risers.

Any water on the spark plugs?

Speedo

Cadet

No water on the plugs. Motor starts quickly and runs strong. I am going to do a major tune-up this month.
Carb, plugs, wires, fuel filter.

I am just curious what else might be sneaking up on me.

Speedo

Cadet

p.s.

Replaced the gimbel housing, u-joints, and transom assembly.