'82 90 l-6 ignition problems

Cogburn

Seaman
I recently bought a 1984 90hp Mercury from a fellow who had it at a Marine dealer and couldn't make it run right.

I checked compression, it was ok all cylinders 145-150 psi(he told me #2 was low).

I checked spark and #4 had no spark. I knew where a 150 was sitting in a barn so we went and got the whole boat(another story for later) and stole the switchbox from it. After changing the switchbox I had good spark on all cylinders.

The Marine place had rebuilt the carbs and replaced the starter and water pump, and ???. At this point it would start and run VERY rich but it sounded like all cylinders hit. After a little head scratching I pinched off the enrichener line and it cleared out and ran fine. The switch was shorted and had power to the enrichener all the time so I disconnected it(later installed a momentary switch as a stopgap).

ANYWAY...

The guy had mentioned that the whole reason that he took the boat to the marine mechanic was because it wouldn't run much past half throttle. I had read on here prior to buying this motor that if the rectifier was bad it could cause a problem like this. This is the only reason I bought the motor as the guy is a (truck) mechanic and had it at the Marine mechanic and couldn't make it run so the probability of making it run wasn't that good(oh.. and he delivered it to my shop for 300$ and brought the controls and harnesses ).

I unhooked and taped off the stator yellow wires as I figured that That may have been the problem all along and didn't want to have that causing problems.

I had dropped the motor on an old tri-hull of my Dad's and ran it out to the lake and it ran fine-41mph!. Smooth idle 650 in gear and about 850 in neutral.

Cool, So I quickly took off the 2 35hp Evinrudes on my fishing boat and replaced them with the MERC TOWER OF POWER! I also hooked up the stator yellow wires and ran it in the tank-charged ok and ran fine.

Took it out for a lake test and VIOLA..runs bad. I disconnected the yellow wires and it runs great! Steady reliable 35+mph and saw 37 once. Sucks gas tho'

OK...here's the question(s):

Is the running problem the rectifier(it tests ok), or the stator(the yellow wires are crumbling all other stator wires ok).

How do I test it? It ohms out good except that there is about 175 ohms to ground on either yellow lead. Kin of weird though as it is about 3kohm all hooked up.

What is a DVA meter and is there an adapter I can make for my Fluke?

I need a switchbox(or one for the 150 I stole it from)-should I go ahead and replace the stator, switchboxes,trigger, and rectifier? Try a rectifier and a switchbox? Opinions?

Is CDI the best?

I think...It needs a stator. Switchboxes would be nice and a trigger??... may as well if I do a stator. Rectifier probably too.

If it would run with just a rectifier then I would probably do that for a while to see how good the motor is(it is clean and works nice). I have one fishing trip coming up in late SEPT. but it is only 2 days. I might just run it the way it is for now too.

I can buy trigger,stator,and switchboxes and a switch and rectifier all CDI (except for switch) for around 500$.

PS.

I am a mechanic with most of an electronics engineering degree,I own an auto repair shop where I am head mechanic,only mechanic,uhh..only employee and am not made of money. That's why I have a 1979 Lund Mr. Pike 189 fishing boat and buy 30 year old Mercurys to upgrade my motor(s).

I sent the guy bought the motor from this pic the day after he delivered it(He was not happy with the boat mechanic):

0821101611.jpg

Cogburn

Seaman
Re: '82 90 l-6 ignition problems

Thanks!

I was thinking that may be the culprit.

I went ahead and ordered switchboxes,stator,trigger,and rectifier.

I figured I can sell the takeoff engines and other parts and be ahead or at least even.

Are there any special tricks to replacing the ignition system that need to be aware of?

I take it that I may need to at least check the advance when I am done?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Order you a correct flywheel remover....it will make repairs a lot easier.

Cogburn

Seaman

Went out to the lake today.

The stator and rectifier replacement took care of the problem and it charges now and runs WFO.

I had done a de-carbonization with sea foam and a link and sync. The primary throttle pickup was set at about 5? ATDC and I moved it to 3-4?BTDC cranking. I also set the timing cranking to 21?btdc... And installed a new rack steering system(backwards...interesting!).

Anyway, I checked the timing WFO on the lake and it was slow compared to when I checked it cranking. I adjusted it up to 21?btdc. Sometine I will check the primary pickup at the lake.

I also removed the bowl jets and put a BB in the extra lean out circuit on the carbs.

The engine revs out pretty good and takes off great(ripped the seat mount out of the floor). 12 1/2"x19p prop 5200rpm and 36mph pretty steady(after the one plug cleaned up).

I am using the old Evinrude tanks that I had and it seems like I am loosing fuel pressure at idle-the tanks don't seem to be vented(they will build pressure when hot). It will idle good then slowly die out and want choke to start.

Is there a cap that is vented for Evinrude tanks or should I just get a couple aftermarket tanks and sell these? Or drill a small hole in the caps?

I think I can get 2 9 gallon tanks here for a 100$. My rear casting deck will fit 4 of the 6g Evinrude tanks.

It does like fuel...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Merc's need a vented cap style tank..

Cogburn

Seaman

Ok I checked and an old Merc tank I have has a vented cap that fits on the Evinrude tanks. It is for my Mark 28 so it is a 1950's unit.

I also checked and the Evinrude tanks vent through the fitting but it is spring loaded and only one way...in. The caps nor tank fittings lend themselves to an 1/8"pt vent fitting so...

Where would a guy buy some tank caps that are vented? I looked around and didn't find anything.

P.S.

One of my Evinrude tanks got so hot this summer that it built up pressure and blew up like a balloon and cracked in the bottom. I brazed it up for a spare for my little boat as it otherwise looks good.