82 50 horse merc tilt

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a manual tilt 50 horse 82 merc.. the tilt lock is broken, and in reverse it allows the motor to buck up.. also, when on the trailer, it needs to be trimmed up, but on the water it needs trimmed down... i bought it this way, and although it runs really well, it just isnt working for me..

is there a way to put power tilt and trim on this manual trim motor? would it be cost effective, or should i just get a new motor.. i was initially thinking just a newer motor with power tilt, but this motor really does run great, other then the tilt, and possibly a different prop, i am happy with its performance..

thanks for info guys

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 82 50 horse merc tilt

Don't know about your area, but here in TX, there is a plethora of boat salvage places. That's where I got the tilt/trim for my last boat. If you intend to do it yourself, I'd get the Merc manual for your motor. But you can buy a salvaged one in this are for around $300 installed. At least that's what I paid here 4 yrs. ago.

Another option is Ebay, but you need to make sure you know the correct one for your motor. You can probably find that with a little dedicated searching around here on iboats.