'81 V4 90 hp Power Head removal - steering arm?

pstar18

Cadet
I cracked the lower cowl on my 1981 90 hp V4 Evinrude (E90TLCIM) and I am trying to remove the power head to replace it. I have removed all the bolts I can see connecting the powerhead and exhaust housing. I am following the Clymer manual and it does not mention having to remove the two front steering bolts but I can't see how not to, so my question is do I need to remove those two 3/4" bolts? And if so, any tips I could not break them loose even after a week of penetrating lube and a breaker bar, I cracked two craftsman 3/4 6 point sockets already, I am worried the bolt heads will snap next and game over.

thanks, Rob

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: '81 V4 90 hp Power Head removal - steering arm?

You don't have to pull those 3/4" bolts. Those are part of the midsection. Remember to disconnect the shift rod under the bottom carb. There are a number of small 1/2" nuts on that powerhead, Four under the front of the powerhead accessed from under the lower cowling and two in the center back immediately under the flat exhaust cover. Those in addition to the 6 long bolts running up from the midsection. Since you have to lift the powerhead anyway, you could attach an automotive type lifter to the lifting eye aft of the flywheel, to exert upward pressure on the powerhead as you try to break it loose. Some folks also pull the lower unit.

pstar18

Cadet
Re: '81 V4 90 hp Power Head removal - steering arm?

Thanks for the reply, I have been having login issues that I finally got resolved, so sorry for late reply.

The exhaust gasket was just really stuck on there so when I thought I got all the bolts and nuts loose I just hoisted and let hang until it came loose, I did decide to pull the lower unit and do the water pump while I was at it, have a new post regarding impeller direction up on that issue.

Thanks again, glad I did not pursue getting that steering arm off it would have been a mess!