81 johnson J50BELCIC will not start

bryan65

Seaman
Hey all. I have had problems with this engine all summer. We have been too busy to go out much, so it sat for 4 weeks. The fuel tank did expand to much (thanks EPA) and fuel did leak out of the engine. I tried to start, and it fired, but would not stay running, then stopped trying altogether. It keeps flooding, I checked spark. Both plugs are getting great spark. I did rebuild the carbs today. It will sputter, but will not start, If I disconnect the fuel line, I can get it to fire a few times, then when I hook the fuel line up It will not even fire. I checked the combustion chamber for compression. get 90 both cylinders.

I am at a loss. I am supposed to be leaving next friday for Torch lake in michigan, and am desperate to get this fixed. Any help will be appreciated.

fireman57

Captain
I would disconnect the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. Crank it and make sure that fuel pours out of the line feeding the carbs. If that checks out then I would make sure that I didn't put the floats in upside down. There is a groove in the top of the float that coincides with a bump in the carb body.

bryan65

Seaman
I would disconnect the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. Crank it and make sure that fuel pours out of the line feeding the carbs. If that checks out then I would make sure that I didn't put the floats in upside down. There is a groove in the top of the float that coincides with a bump in the carb body.

Done both already,

I am taking it to a mechanic today, unfortunately I have run out of time. Thanks for your help