81 Chris Craft 253

Martin Leaney

Seaman
After the 'Boatless In Seattle' incident (1974 SeaRay fixer upper) I have decided to spend a bit more and get a decent running boat.<br /><br />I am looking at a 1981 Chris Craft 253 Express. Price seems good and it looks, from pictures, clean and well maintained. Are there any Captains here with experience with these models? Any problem areas?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 81 Chris Craft 253

Don't know the Chris but have had a couple of small express boats. They do tend to suck up the exhaust fumes into the cockpit - the nature of the express design.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I have the '77 version of your boat. Yours will be a bit nicer in the way of fitting and trim (a wash basin and maybe a shower in the head, for example). Mine has the original OMC 305, and performs pretty well. Exhaust fumes are a little bit of a problem with these express models, as was pointed out ("station wagon" effect, I think). It's a solid boat, and stable. <br /><br />It is difficult to get at the belts on the front of the engine (or anything else up there) -- prior owner of my boat opened up access through the steps into the cabin, and that helps.

magster65

Commander

I had an older 26' Chris Craft Express(1968), it suffered from the 'station wagon' effect as well. It wasn't a huge problem though, only at a certain speed (slow) when it was calm... it could be controlled (on my boat) a bit by taking off the rear canvas roof or leaving the rear curtain on and making sure all the windows were shut to prevent the backdraft. My '83 SeaRay did it too... don't let it steer you away from the boat, that size of Express cruiser is great, I really like them. It's a lot nicer (and bigger) than the 24' SeaRay. Good choice.

Martin Leaney

Seaman

Thanks All,<br /><br />I have made an offer on the Chris Craft and will probably get it. The only issue is finding a trailer for it. They are kind of expensive new. <br /><br />Anyone know where to find a good used trailer in the southern Ontario area?

Capt Ken

Commander

I still own one of the 25 Express cruisers from the 1977 era. Its a factory hardtop and I've never had fumes in the cockpit. Or at least not enough to cause a problem. I'm curious, what are those things going for now. Half way thought about selling mine being it sat in the slip since 7/4 and never moved till I hauled it out in November. Now it just sits infront of the shop awaiting new paint on the bottom. Hate to launch it in the spring for it to just sit again.