80's Force blowing starter solinoids

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just recently ive put a new Tilt/Trim motor on my 89 force 125 i then had to replace my starter solinoid this past weekend after searching for one i was told to goto Discount and buy a Generic 12v Solinoid sure enough it was the same solinoid just a little different mounting bracket, After i installed it and charged my battery i started my boat tilted and trimed up and down great, i then shut the boat off and tunned the carbs a little and tried to start it up, it wouldn't turn over by the key so i just jumped the starter wire to the batter wire on the solinoid to start it again just like before, (No my circuit breaker isn't tripped) Any ideas what would make a solinoid blow multiple times? any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: 80's Force blowing starter solinoids

u have a short somewhere
u need a test light or volt meter
trace Ur wires back
u might need 2 people to make it easier

wheeler87

Seaman Apprentice

Justintime is absolutely correct you have a dead short in the system somewhere

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

My guess is not a short but too much resistance in the wire to your ignition switch to the starter solinoid. Try doing this. take a car jumper lead and run it to the small terminal on your starter solinoid. ( probably yellow/black) wire going there now. connect the other end of the jumper cable to the positive lead of your battery. Does this help the starter engage?

Reel-Fun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Found the problem!! Well the first solinoid did blow...

And after some HARD THINKING and a little help from a brother thats an electrition a 12volt battery will not blow a 12 volt solinoid there is no way. The first thing he said was just what eurolava said to much resistance after a little diagnosis with a volt meter everything checked out find!!

Then we found the problem it wasnt the solinoid but the ground wire to the ignition had somehow came lose and came apart it looks as the wire was sitting on the steering wheel shaft inside the dash and it yanked it lose.

So after all that on Friday night i will be heading out to the bay today! its the best time for boating down here in florida right now! 70-80s high 60's in the morning at dawn.. Thanks for your help guys and hopefully this will help someone else in the future!!

Remember a 12volt battery cant blow a 12 volt solinoid unless the solinoid is bad in the first place.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

That black wire might be hanging there on purpose. The wiring harness typically has a spare ground so that you can hook up your tach and speedometer and such. Typically if you do not have these Items the black wire and usually the purple wire just hang loose around the ignition switch. Roscoe would know more about force wiring then me but I dont think a black wire even gets connected to the ignition switch. Just the red, green, blue white and yellow.

Also your electrician friend might should be able to follow this resistance theory. The coil resistance in the solinoid is typically around .5 or .7 ohms. If the wire used to connect to the starter is around .5 or .5 ohms what you have is a voltage divider which means only 6 or 7 volts is getting to the small leg on the solinoid. I believe if you measure the voltage at that small lead you will see only around 8 volts when it will start. To eliminate this resistance make sure all electrical contacts are clean and tight. The starter solinoid might implement a body ground or actually have a ground wire. If it is a body ground remove the solinoid and file or sand all contact spots to establish a good ground. Because you are in florida and if you are near the gulf or the ocean corrosion is more common due to the salt in the air which will increase contact resistance so that not as much voltage can flow.