80 horse Merc, year and part search

nnosker

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />I have a 80 horse Kiekhaefer Mercury outboard. It has 800 written on the front, and 80 horse on the side. Serial # 3148469<br /><br />What is the year, and how and where do you find it? Also, looking for a switch box / power pack, or whichever you wish to call it. I believe this is the problem. Power is at least running to the box, but nothing to the spark plugs. Was working just 2 weeks ago, and all the wiring has been changed after it decided to stop. Would test it but dont know of anyone with a Direct Voltage Adapter Tester unless i want to spend 50 to 100 bucks just to test it. Anyone know of a good place to buy that isnt too high on the price? :eek: <br />Boat is beggin for the lake, and i am losing chance on getting carpultunnel on casting. Thanks much. nnosker@hotmail.com

Kiwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 80 horse Merc, year and part search

Cant help you with your no spark problem but your engine is a 1971 model. Check it out here:<br /><br /> Merc Serial Numbers

nnosker

Cadet

Thanks Kiwi, appreciate it. Checked out the link and realized I better just ask. :eek: Only know 2 languages.<br />Good English<br />and<br />Bad English<br /><br />Get in less trouble if I just stick to the one tho.

mrm

Seaman

Click on English flag.<br /> MRM

Duckboater

Cadet

The power pack is going to cost you at least $100. Can you find a mechaninc willing to swap a good one in to test it? This should be cheaper than buying the wrong (possibly) part and still getting no fire. I learned this the hard way, my "faulty power pack" turned out to be a bad spark plug wire!

nnosker

Cadet

iight,<br /><br />Searched around for this power pack, and cant seem to find a place to buy a new one. So looks like I need to find a used one that hopefully will last for ahwile.<br />Could take it in to get it completely tested, but pretty sure that it is the power pack / switch box assembly. Juice is going from the trigger to the box, but not getting spark from either of the plug wires. If anyone knows where to pick up a switch box assembly / power pack, would definately be happy.<br /><br />Stats again.<br />Mercury 80 horse Kiekhaefer 800 4 cyl. Serial # 314869.<br /><br />Hope someone has better luck finding it than i have had so far.<br /><br />Thanks for the input given. and if you find a part number for it, would be great too. Cant find it written on it anywhere.