'80 9.9 Shift Rod Adjust? Prop spins in Neutral

Kev

Seaman
I've got a 1980 9.9 Johnny that runs great and never jumps out of gear. Always shifts crisply and smoothly.<br /><br />But I did notice the other day that when in neutral, the props spins slowly. When the motor is off and in neutral I can turn the prop freely with no sounds of clicking or anything abnormal. <br /><br />The prop stops spinning in neutral if I push the shift lever (manual shift) about 1/8" toward reverse and hold it.<br /><br />It seems that my shift rod requires adjustment. Does that seem correct?<br /><br />Is there a way to adjust the length of the shift rod without dropping the lower unit? If I recall, it threads into a piece in the lower unit, but I'm hoping you can adjust it slightly where it connects to the shift lever instead.<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Kev

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: '80 9.9 Shift Rod Adjust? Prop spins in Neutral

I wouldn't sweat the prop turning a bit as that's normal in certain circumstances. Unless of course, it's really in gear and turning. You would have to remove the lower unit to adjust the shift rod. It does screw in and out like you said....

Kev

Seaman

Is there any chance the slowly turning prop in neutral will wear out the gears or clutch dog? I would say it could just be turning due to water currents or something but it seems to turn the same direction all the time. It turns slowly and weakly like a pinwheel, and I bet I could stop it by holding it (though I won't try!).<br /><br />The weird thing is when I turn off the motor and put it in neutral, I can spin the prop with my hand and it spins totally freely without noise and I don't feel any resistance. So what makes the prop turn in neutral when the motor is running? I would assume gears slightly meshing would prevent the prop from spinning by hand while in neutral.<br /><br />Does anyone think it is worth dropping lower unit just to try to adjust the shift rod, and if so how exactly would I do the adjustment?<br /><br />Thanks.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Leave the lower unit and shift rod alone. When the engine is running the driveshaft is spinning. The driveshaft goes through the water pump and down into the gearcase. The spinning is the movement of the gear oil as a result. This is perfectly normal.

Kev

Seaman

Ah, good news! Thank you, Admirals! That explains my situation perfectly.<br /><br />Happy boating!<br />Kev