8.1GXI-J Starter issue

jaynick1

Cadet
Hey all, long time lurker, normally would search but can't seem to find a solution for my info. Would appreciate feedback or ideas.

2008 Chaparral 256SSI
VP 8.1 GXI-J SN#3869415

Prior to everything boat ran great, starter gave out, bolts were corroded and decided to remove motor for a bunch of other preventative mx. Replaced everything manifolds, risers, elbows, plugs, coils, motor mounts, starter, bellows, oil, etc. All parts were replaced with genuine VP oem parts. Batteries less than 8 months old and seemed fine prior so did not replace.

Reinstall motor and she fires up and runs great. Take it out a few times with no issues. Did notice the current starter issue once the day prior to it not working at all but tried again and it fired right up.

Now when trying to start the starter engages the flywheel (audible clunk sound, not a click) but does not turn over the motor.

I pulled off the water pump off and rotated the engine by hand and everything moves free so that was a relief.

I noticed that there was EVER so slight movement in the starter even though bolts were tight. Loosened and retightend and was able to start the motor once. When I tried again no start, same issue. Pulled the bolts one by one and one of the bolts was too long. Replaced with a proper length bolt and it everything snugged up nicely. Still same issue. I noticed when I went to turn motor over by hand I heard the starter ring gear click back and "fall" off of the flywheel. Possible binding? Or alignment issue?

I also checked voltage drop while my gf turned the key. Red lead of MM to starter solenoid post and black lead to negative of battery terminal. After trying a bunch of things the battery was somewhat low so I know I will need to recharge (what I am doing now) but here are my numbers. 11.9 without engaging starter 11.1 while trying to start. I am going to check voltage drop from starter post to positive battery post next. I am trying this with and without a jump box to get it some extra juice in case battery voltage is still a little low.

Big picture question overall, has anyone experienced this, and should I focus my effort on the starter mounting itself? Or is this for sure an electrical gremlin/grounding issue that I am going to have to flush out. Problem was progressive in nature and not all of a sudden.

Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
I know I will need to recharge (what I am doing now) but here are my numbers. 11.9 without engaging starter 11.1 while trying to star

You don't need to recharge, you need to replace the battery.

Good battery is 12.7V fully charged, a 11.9V bat has only 40% charge and is toast

jaynick1

Cadet
The more I think about it the more I think it might be batteries. I've got them back out and charging now. They were out of the boat not charging for 1.5 months while I did my thing. I did measure voltage drop on the ground and power circuits. .05 volts on the ground circuit but .23 volts on the power circuit. Couple that resistance with weakened batteries and that could be it right there. If that doesn't do the trick new batteries is an easy fix.

Bondo

Staff member
Couple that resistance with weakened batteries and that could be it right there. If that doesn't do the trick new batteries is an easy fix.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Did ya polish the batt terminals, 'n cable connections, on both ends of the cables, to shiny metal Clean,..??

jaynick1

Cadet
Sure did, sandpaper and vinegar. Charged both batteries overnight. Going to throw them back in and see what happens.

jaynick1

Cadet
Update, both batteries charged, 13 volts. Still same thing. Going to chase cables since I still have a .25v drop on the power circuit. Must have missed one. Also pulling selector switch to see if there is corrosion in there. So much for my Sunday :p.

jaynick1

Cadet
Ran a good cable (.04v drop on power circuit) directly from the battery to the starter to take the selector switch out of the equation. Same result. Measure voltage at solenoid signal wire and getting 11v when trying to start. I am beginning to think my new starter may have gone bad. Going to pull and test it.

jaynick1

Cadet
Pulled starter and bench tested it with battery and jump box. Extend but no spin. Hooked starter motor itself and it spun correctly. Verified at an auto parts store. New solenoid on the way. Sucks it went bad so quickly but I guess it happens.

jaynick1

Cadet
OEM part with VP part number stamped on it bought from a reputable marine dealer.... thanks for the advice. And yes I bought the OEM VP starter solenoid before you ask...