8-10 HP range

David M

Cadet
I'm getting an inflatible for exploring, crusing around marina. Need an 8 to 10 hp engine, considering Nissan, and tohatsu. Don't know much about either, any coments good or bad would be appreciated.<br /><br />Dave

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 8-10 HP range

This is bound to raise plenty of opinions!<br /><br />Here's mine:<br />Go for a well known, existing, brand with a service point near you. Decide on your budget. Check bargains (new & used) on both 2- and 4-stroke.<br /><br />Do a search on this site for opinions on 2-stroke versus 4-stroke. Lot's of reading on the subject.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 8-10 HP range

Nissans are Tohatsus, Striper.<br /><br />Tohatsus have an excellent reputation for reliability. They are also usually lighter than the other options, and less expensive.<br /><br />You will not find a Tohatsu service center around every corner. Tohatsu's world market is mainly commercial watermen. They expect buyers to get a manual and do routine maintenance on their own engines.<br /><br />Good choice for an inflatable or RIB, in my opinion.<br /><br />Good luck. :)