79 lower unit stuck

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't for the life of me get the lower unit off to change the impeller. It's not the bolts that is holding it together. I've got them all out except for the 2 nuts on the side which need the unit to separate to remove them. It' acting like it's bound up toward those 2 nuts. The back is separating but the front is not. Any suggestions?

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 79 lower unit stuck

It separates enough to get a thick flat head screw driver in there and pry a little but I'm afraid I'm going to break something if I pry any harder.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

your forgetting the allen head bolt at the rear.. goes down through that little plug on the top...
#7 is the plug covering it

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me go look real quick. It doesn't feel like it's stuck back there though. Feels like it's stuck right about the area where the two side nuts are at. I'm able to pry a good gap between most of the unit and wiggle it back and forth but it's still not budging. Let me go look at that bolt that you mentioned real fast.

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you operating in salt water?

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I've already got that other bolt out. It was in the salt water here in there but not always. I'm lost right now. I've changed a few of these impellers and never had this issue. I've got a good 1/4" gap where it's trying to separate. I've tried wedges on bolt sides and still won't drop. Think the shaft might be stuck in there? I'm to the point where I'm about to take my tractor and use the bucket to pop it loose.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, I'm pissed and have done enough reading to come to the conclusion that my shaft is frozen so I'm going to cut a hole in the midsection and use a torch. Will post up results after while. Wish me luck.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

ive ran into a few that rusted up over time........there a real pain! i remember using the 2 side nuts on one to push them apart slowly using spacers as it spread.. probably just rusty splines....work it slow and easy

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a last resort I would try spraying the area with Deep Sea Creep and let it sit for a while before trying to separate

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, after 6 hrs of working on this I finally got it back together but now I have three 1 1/2" holes in my midsection. Had to use some heat and a BFH to get it off but I did. Now I have to weld my holes up and I should be good. My question is, should I have water shooting out the holes I made in the midsection? I thought it just went up through the water impeller tubing. I have water shooting out them holes but once I weld them up, I should be good right? Here are some before and after pics of my problem.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

Alright, after 6 hrs of working on this I finally got it back together but now I have three 1 1/2" holes in my midsection. Had to use some heat and a BFH to get it off but I did. Now I have to weld my holes up and I should be good. My question is, should I have water shooting out the holes I made in the midsection? I thought it just went up through the water impeller tubing. I have water shooting out them holes but once I weld them up, I should be good right? Here are some before and after pics of my problem.

holy sh** no wonder!!!! glad you beat it anyway...id hate to say this but even being the cheap sob that i am, i think id be looking for a different lower.. or atleast the shaft.... how bad does the upper end look?

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's my problem also. Until it completly breaks, I'm using it just like it is. I've put it back together and it runs fine other than water coming from my 3 holes I cut in the midsection. I'll get them welded up this weekend and put it in the water. I've got water coming from my **** hole so I'm guessing the impeller is doing what it's suppose to. I'm guessing that water is coming out my other holes b/c of the pressure from the water hose. I wouldn't have thought that water actually goes all the way up in the midsection like that.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

did you grease it before putting it back together? how big are the holes you made? possible to make a plug that way you wont have to cut again if it ever happens?

Bondo

Staff member

I wouldn't have thought that water actually goes all the way up in the midsection like that.

Ayuh,... You're seeing the water Expelled from the powerhead...
It's going Down, not Up there...

You did Grease the shaft this time,..?? Right,..??

I'd suspect the splines in the end of the crankshaft will be Gone in no time...
To bad a motor like that is Destroyed just for lack of Grease...

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I greased the **** out of it before I put it back in there. With my holes in the side, I could see the crank and it didn't look that bad. I picked up 5 mercury motors for $100 a week ago just for parts since I now have 2. I was to the point where I was just going to cut the shaft and replace it with one of the spares but I didn't feel like pulling the power head to remove the other section. We'll see what happens. The motor runs great, other than water coming from my man made holes. I'll have it in the water this weekend so wish me the best.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did you grease it before putting it back together? how big are the holes you made? possible to make a plug that way you wont have to cut again if it ever happens?

1 1/2" holes. I saved the pieces that came out so I'll weld them back in there. I'll post some before and after pics Friday. I have to work the next 2 days.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot all about posting pics of my holes. Here's the before and after pics.

nmhellraiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. In person, you cant even tell there were even any holes. Just a little patience with the welder and buffing wheel and everything goes back to normal. I actually had saved the sections I cut out so that even made life easier.