79 Johnson Outboard stiff throttle & Choke

digitish

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I have a 79 Johnson that has a very stiff throttle. I took the cables off the motor & they seem to move ok when not connected. Also opened up the controll box & it seems okay also moves fine when cables not connected to motor. One of the cables sheath is cracked & looks like it should be replaced to me before it becomes a problem, pic attached.

The motor components also seem to move fine by hand but see this white piece in the pic...should there be any play on that or should the nut be tighetned so there is no play. If I push on the top or bottom of that piece it moves towards the motor & back out.
image2 SM.jpg image1 SM.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can do a test. Connect only the throttle cable and try shifting the control box. Disconnect that cable and connect the just the shift cable. shift the box. If it seems to shift harder with one or the other cable connected-that will tell you something about where to look for the problem.

digitish

Cadet
Thanks. Replaced the throttle cable & it seems to be working fine now.

Any thoughts on the play in that throttle arm? Someone told me there is a bushing in there & I have to be careful not to overtighten the nut.