79 35hp exhaust loud!!!

JMG

Cadet
Hi I'm new to the forum and need some help.I just purchased a used 79 35hp tiller for my 16' crestliner jon boat and to my surprise after being told it was a long shaft it is actully a short shaft I think? top of transom to cavitation plate is 17" should be 23" I believe. Luckily I can cut the transom easilly. Good idea??? also the exhaust is loud comming out the two upper holes on the rear of the shaft is this normal? I looked in the FAQ there is a description of a problem but no more pictures and I can't tell if this is my problem, can anybody offer some advice??

Thanks
Jamie

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 79 35hp exhaust loud!!!

Is this on ears or in the water?
If it is on ears they are really loud, just ask my neighbors.

Hang tight someone that knows more will be along soon, the only thing I can think of is someone had it apart and didn't line up the exhaust right but I don't know about that for sure.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You can put in a long shaft kit if you want to. Kind of expensive unless you can find used parts to do it with.

Noisy out the relief holes, I imagine there must be something wrong with the inner exhaust tube. Hole burned/corroded through it comes to mind. No way of knowing without removing the powerhead.

JMG

Cadet

Sorry for the delay I thought I was going to get email notice but I found out you need to subscribe :confused:
Thanks for the advice . I was told this is a normal sounding evinrude for the year. I'll live with it for now and remove the power head later just to make sure all is ok.