'79 25hp Johnny doesn't crank

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A few weeks ago we took the old MFG out for some catfishing and set up on a hole to catch some bait. Worked the hole for about 20 minutes and when I tried to restart the boat it wouldn't crank. I made sure the boat was in neutral and tried again. Still nothing. I have a standard push button starting switch so it's a very simple setup. I pulled the wires off the switch and touched them together. Still nothing. We ended up using the pull start the rest of the night but now we are faced with what is causing the starter not to crank.

Upon inspecting the boat once we got home I think the problem might have something to do with a little metal piece that goes between the shift selector and the motor. I think this piece is broke or out of position. But I wonder if it's really the problem because the boat can easily be crank started.

Whats my best course of action in this situation? What else shoudl I look for? Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '79 25hp Johnny doesn't crank

check all your battery connections, and wiring connections. you can jump the solenoid to see if the starter is good, could be weak battery,dirty connections, or a bad solenoid.

JB

Go to Engine FAQs, BWS.

Read "Outboard won't start". That should guide you through starter circuit trooubleshooting.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If all connections are good, by-pass the neautral start switch.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it. And after reading that engine faq I'm definately going to check both of the kill switches that are on the boat. Those could very well be the problem. THanks again.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After second thought, I don't think it has anything to do with the kill switches being faulty. If that were the case I wouldn't be able to hand crank it. Right?

tashasdaddy

like i said check your connections, solenoid, check battery cables for nicks and internal corrosion.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The problem turned out to be the neatral start switch. The switch itself is not bad. It's the neatral shift arm. There is some type of metal spacer that fits bewteen the shifter arm and the shift linkage. This spacer is broken and there is some slop involved in the linkage. It is not allowing the adjustable screw to press the actual switch to allow the engine to start. The parts diagram does not show any kind of spacer so I'm not sure what to do. I adjusted the screw enough to allow me to use the electric start, but I'd like to tighten this shifter arm back up. Anyone familiar with this "Spacer"?