78' Mercury 115 stuck in forward after LU removed

bazzmaster

Cadet
Ok, just replaced water pump.... when I took the lower unit off I turned it upside down to get a small rock out of it... the little plastic part fell out/off so I dont know what position it was in... I believe its called the reverse lock or something, it had a plastic washer under it..... I did put it in forward when removed but now its stuck in forward no matter what gear I have it in....... what position does that part go in.... how can I fix this.... thanks in advance...

Laddies

Banned
Re: 78' Mercury 115 stuck in forward after LU removed

When reinstalling the unit try it with both in rev. I have much better luck that way.

Last edited:

Derric

Seaman Apprentice

Is there a little rod with splines on the front of the lower unit? in front of water pump? Take it apart. Put shifter in nuetral. Turn that little shaft with splines all the way to the right and mark it. Turn all the way to left and mark it. Then find the middle and that should be neutral. Or it may have an arrow on top to line up. Just move that shat till your prop shaft will spin both ways. Thats what I did on my 90hp merc

tredragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm interested in this too. I did the following and now can't get out of forward gear (even when the shifter is in reverse or neutral):

Full forward gear, took off LU. Full Reverse, put LU back on. Is this all that caused this or do I need to play with that splined rod? Should I put it in full reverse when I pull it, then put in neutral, then get the rod until the prop spins freely in both directions, then replace LU?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Like he said.

Drop the lower unit and

turn the shift shaft

with a rag wrapped around it to not scratch the splines.

Find neutral

put shifter handle in neutral

Put it back together, but before you get all the bolts back in check it and see if it's right.

Sometimes it takes a few tries. No big deal.