78 lb Cod caught in MA

Ralph 123

Captain
One of the things that I enjoy most about doing this forecast is being able to deliver the scoop in a blink of an eye the way only cyber space can. This one is BIG. Jim Walsh of Walsh Deep Sea Fishing Charters out of Lynn has found a school of absolute monster cod over a spawning redd so close to the shore that if you didn’t see the results you wouldn’t believe it. Check this out for stats: within the last few days patrons of the American Classic have landed cod of 78, 75, 63 and 58 pounds – whew! And such numbers of “lesser” fish that to list them would take up most of this page. The 78, which was landed by retired police officer, John Monte, was actually an 84 while fresh but dried out to 78 by the time they pulled into port. If you have followed this forecast for any length of time you may recall the incredible whale cod bite in the Dumping Grounds late last fall. The only problem with that was a flotilla of boats out there and from a conservation outlook it was bittersweet since anglers pummeled the heck out of the big breeders. Jimmy’s mode of operation is that his customers hit this “hole” for a brief period of time, haul up a few whales and move, leaving the bulk of the school intact so that they can pass along their unique genetics. When pressed about where these cod where located, all Jimmy would tell me was that they were located somewhere between Nahant and Marblehead.<br /><br /> http://www.onthewater.com/fishingforecast.htm

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: 78 lb Cod caught in MA

Codzilla lives!! I hauled up a 58 pounder off of Jefferies Ledge 5 years ago. Then I got wrapped up in striper fishing and haven't been cod fishing since.

Ralph 123

Captain

Gauge, <br /><br />If you go to that link you can sign up for "on The Waters" free fishing report email for your area.

sweetp

Cadet

That is great, cod stocks are down and they fish for the breeders. That makes no sense at all. I am all for keeping fish but slot limits must be imposed for all species before it is too late.