78 Evinrude 140 Trim/Tilt, How to replace fluid?

randyrandy

Cadet
I have a 1978 Evinrude 140 hp, with integral trim/tilt unit. I have the original owners manual and it only tells how to top off the reservoir. I want to know how to drain and replace the fluid. It doesn't leak but the fluid is grey/brown and doesn't look healthy (probably 20 year old fluid). There doesn't seem to be a "drain plug," from what I see in the manual. Do I disconnect the fluid lines at the bottom of the unit and let it drain out, then reconnect the lines and fill, or is there more to it than that? The owners manual just refers to topping off fluid and complete rebuild of the unit, nothing about just replacing the fluid. It does say that Dexron ATF is an acceptible alternative to the Evinrude brand hydrolic fluid. I hope I can do this without taking the unit off or pulling the motor off. Help, help, help....and thanks a lot.

randyrandy

Cadet
Re: 78 Evinrude 140 Trim/Tilt, How to replace fluid?

I have been all through the manual again, it does not say anything about how to drain and refill the trim/tilt fluid. Any help, I'm grateful.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You can drain it via the SS oil lines, but be careful. They are easily stripped, and very expensive. Just check out the prices. I have stripped more than one myself on an older outboard. After it is drained, simply have the unit fully trimmed out, top up via the large slotted screw in the front of the resevoir, cycle the unit 5 to 6 times, bleeding the air from the system back to the fully trimmed out position, refill, etc... until you can no longer fill. You can use the ATF Dexron III, but being as the fluid is rarely changed, why not use the Johnson/Evinrude brand, it is really not that much more.

randyrandy

Cadet

Thanks for getting back to me. Are the SS lines the two at the bottom of the unit? And, do I remove both to do the job correctly? Also, I did buy the Evinrude trim fluid just to bo on the safe side because an old retired mechanic once told me not to mix Dexron with Evinrude in the unit. I just got a new o-ring for the filler plug, the old one wasn't in good shape. Oh yeah, I like the picture you picked out for HIGHTRIM. That's nose down!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Those are them. Again, be careful. I would not use an adjustable, use a proper sized wrench, and be sure that when re installing, the threads are straight.