77 Evinrude 70hp been sitting in florida sun

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice
My father-in-law handed down a 1977 Glastron with a 70hp Evinrude to my son. The boat has been covered and mostly sitting on a trailer in the Florida sun for the last 15 - 20 years. I picked it up last weekend and its in pretty good shape. Not sure when the last time the motor was started, probably 3 - 5 years ago. He has always been very good about cleaning the boat, running fresh water through the engine and draining the gas out of th carbs after he used it. My question, I'm not sure if I should replace anything before I attempt to start it. I was thinking of putting a new waterpump kit on it (not aware that it has been changed in last 15 - 20 years) and change the gear lube. I was also thinking of running some seafoam through the engine. Or should I add something to the oil/gas to help lubricate the engine since it has not been used in years. My major concern is dry rot of seals and break down of any lubricants. I don't want to do any damage starting it after it has sat for so many years. Any advice would be appreciated.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 77 Evinrude 70hp been sitting in florida sun

Well, replacing the impeller would be a good place to start. Fresh fuel/oil and a new set of plugs and see if it'll fire up before dumping money in it.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You are correct to replace the impeller, best insurance there is. Just check the gear lube for water intrusion, if it's good let it be, it doesn't break down. Personally, when I get a motor that hasn't run in a good while, I pull the plugs and air cover and hit the cylinders and intake with a little fogging oil and turn it over by hand to try and get some lube into the dry places before starting it.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1 to what bluefin and rockyrude said. I would also do a good visual inspection on all the wiring to make sure mice haven't made a meal out of it. Also inspect the hoses for cracking and insure all connections are tight.

Keep us informed as to what happens!!
:)

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good point about the fuel lines, just replace them with the ethanol resistant stuff and avoid trouble before it happens.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Rocky, I was just addressing if his connections weren't tight, or if he had cracks it may start sucking air in and give him a "lean" mixture and that will start a whole bunch of problems. I didn't even think about the whole ethanol resistant thing.

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice

Rocky, I was just addressing if his connections weren't tight, or if he had cracks it may start sucking air in and give him a "lean" mixture and that will start a whole bunch of problems. I didn't even think about the whole ethanol resistant thing.

Thanks to everyone for some great advice. You've brought up things I had not even thought about. The FAQ is very helpful as well. I plan on doing some work on it this weekend and will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another thing you might want to do is spray some fogging oil or seafoam in the cylinders let sit for a few minutes and crank a second or two without the plugs in. This will get parts lubed that hasn't seen any lube in awhile.