'77 85 HP Evinrude...No Spark

tdimichele

Cadet
I have no spark when I crank the motor over. There is a "junction box" on the back of the motor that has wires going into it from under the flywheel, and wires coming out of it that go to the coil packs. I took the junction box cover off and put a test light on the side where the wires go in. The light did not light up while cranking the motor over. I have a good cranking speed.<br /><br />Should my test light be lighting up? If it should be lighting up, what other troubleshooting should I do before I take off the flywheel with the proper tools?<br /><br />Once I get the flywheel off, can I expect to see a rust coated surface that needs to be sanded, or will there be parts under it that need replacement?<br /><br />Is there a stator under the flywheel?<br /><br />All help is appreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: '77 85 HP Evinrude...No Spark

That's not a junction box, that's a powerpack. I suggest that you obtain a service manual if you intend to work on the engine in order to avoid a rather expensive mistake.<br /><br />Remove the spark plugs and rig up a spark tester whereas you can set a 7/16" gap.<br /><br />Disconnect the large RED electrical plug at the engine. Crank the engine by jumping the starter solenoid. If you have spark now, replace thew ignition switch. Let us know what you find.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure the lanyard for the kill switch is hooked up or you'll get no spark. That's probably the most overlooked thing newer boaters will miss.

tdimichele

Cadet

I screwed up. I checked the Model Number on my motor and it turns out my motor is actually a 1979.<br /><br />I disconnected the red plug, took out all spark plugs, hooked up a spark plug tester and jumped the selenoid using two screwdrivers. Still no spark.<br /><br />I tested the ground my tester was using, and it was good.<br /><br />I used a harmonic wheel puller to get the flywheel off and check for corrosion. The stator has magnets all around it, correct? These magnets were coroded along with spots of the flywheel surface. I hit with some sand paper.<br /><br />On the inner most circle are two little plastic pieces with metal pickups. Are those points or magnito? The metal is worn down flush to the plastic. Is that how it should be?<br /><br />After re-assembly, the same red plug test yielded the same results, no spark. <br /><br />As for the lanyard/kill switch, I don't know where that is on this boat. It is in really rough condition.<br /><br />From here do I look at getting a new stator, points/magnito or do I continue trouble shooting?

tdimichele

Cadet

I spoke with my uncle, as he is a mechanic and has some boating experience. The two "pickups" under the flywheel are not points, I know that now.<br /><br />One thing he pointed out to me was I should be using a multi-meter rather than a pick tester.<br /><br />He also explained that the stator has nothing to do with the ignition, but it is the recharging system for the battery. <br /><br />Next, I'm going to test current to the powerpack with my multimeter. I'll post what I find. If I have voltage on one side of the pack, but not the other would it be a safe bet that the powerpack is bad?<br /><br />My uncle said he keeps hearing the same story with these motors, they sit for awhile and then No Spark. He has yet to hear the solution or work on one himself to find it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The stator on your engine is a two fold component. One portion of it (the small coils) delivers AC voltage to the rectifier which converts the voltage to DC in order to (as your uncle states) charge the battery.<br /><br />However, the other portion of the stator (two large coils) delivers approximately 300v AC to the powerpack capacitor in order to energize the powerpack.<br /><br />Should those large coils crack and/or melt down due to heat, a sticky substance can usually be seen that has dripped down upon the timer base nylon ring bearing, and onto to top of the block. This is not common with the low ampere charging stators but it does happen if you run the engine with a faulty rectifier.<br /><br />Bottom line.... If the stator is not melting down, the usual cause of the no spark problem (if a single powerpack) is a failed powerpack.<br /><br />Now.... You say you've checked the model number of the engine... What is it? The 1979 model has dual powerpacks, not one as you indicated in your initial post.<br /><br />Let us have the model number so that we know exactly what you have.

tdimichele

Cadet

I have the model number at home, so I can post tonight. <br /><br />But I do know that I traced one harness which had four wires coming out from under the flywheel. They have writing on them that says "Sensor 1", "Sensor 2", "Sensor 3", and "Sensor 4". This goes into what I refered to as the junction box, which is actually the power pack. Is this definately the power pack or did I fail to describe the situation well in my first post?<br /><br />Also, the model number and serial plate were on the bracket which attatches directly to the boat. The motor then attatches to the plate. Is it possible that the motor on the plate is not the originally attached motor? <br /><br />Are there markings/castings on the actual motor, powerhead, or ignition that directly identify the motor?<br /><br />If I'm looking straight down on the stator after removing the flywheel, where do I see the timer base? <br /><br />The two sensor's in the middle circle, looking down on the stator after removing flywheel, are they called pickup's or magnito's?<br /><br />Sorry for 20 questions in one post.

tdimichele

Cadet

Does my boat have points? I just saw two pickups, but the only other time I saw points was on my fathers '56 chevy. I thought this motor was equipped with CD Electronic Ignition.<br /><br />I ran some tests with the multimeter tonight. I'm not sure exactly how to read the multimeter or which setting I am supposed to put it on, but I chose the DC 10X setting. I have voltage/amperage/wattage/whatever going into the power pack on each of my 4 sensor wires. Each wire doubles when the motor is cranked over. I also have voltage coming out of the power pack. But my reading is the same when cranking over as it is when not cranking over.<br /><br />I took some pictures of my power pack and red plug that I disconnected to eliminate the ignition and initially test for spark. I left the red plug connected when I did my multimeter test. Here is a link:<br /> Power Pack and Red Plug <br /><br />Based on the test results, do I need a new power pack or is there further troubleshooting I should attempt.

dolluper

Captain

Not pickup's or a mag they are called sensor coils<br />R Johnson has a neat way of adjusting the sensor coils posted aug 29 2004 1050am do a search with his name

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The model number of 85793S indicates that your engine is indeed a 1977 85hp model. This model incorporates a single powerpack as you describe.

tdimichele

Cadet

i misread the "how to determine year" post. Thanks. Do you think I should go for the new power pack at this point? Any suggestions on where to order from?

87Aggie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out the RJohnson post mentioned by Dolluper above. I have a '77 140 hp and experienced the no spark / intermittent spark problem as well. After a bunch of unnecessary parts replacements (stator and powerpack are pretty high dollar items)and still no spark. I adjusted the sensor gaps using the tool from CDI and BAM, I had spark - problem solved. Hope that's your problem.

tdimichele

Cadet

I found the post and read it. I could purchase the adjustment tool and wait for it to be shipped.<br /><br />But like I said, my voltage doubles on the sensor wires going into the power pack. Voltage going out of the pack to each coil does not change. <br /><br />What voltage is supposed to go into the pack and what should be coming out of the pack to trigger the coil?<br /><br />The boat I got is a 17 1/2 foot...but is in close to the condition in your pictures. How are you making out with your repair?

dolluper

Captain

Did you read the part about the candle trick and the shoot.It's in the post I linked you to, plus I have the test numbers in that post also they are under the candle trick a couple,go back read the whole post on my link above.Boat is coming along real good transom is in just waiting on the 2 part floataion foam to arrive ,so I can finish it off ,then install the floor done.What an undertaking it has been,I do now know of a better way to do it ,live and learn forsure,soon I'II throw up some more shots of the work