'76 Mercury 850 wont crank

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've just fixed my PTT, now this. I just took my boat out of winter storage last week and it had previously started with no problems. When I turn the key I get click only, but it wont turn over. How can I test the starter or solenoid? Is there possibly a simpler problem that I'm missing? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Any recommendations on a good service/repair manual. It turns out I could really use one!

76canaventure

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '76 Mercury 850 wont crank

Hi there!
I just got this same motor in February. (My first Merc, so don't expect a lot of insight) Try to start troubleshooting with the basics;
1. Known good charged battery
2. Check all connections
3. Go around the solenoid with booster cables right to the starter. (Lots of sparking, look out)
Sounds like your solenoid is working, if it's clicking. A little oil under the bendix will help it to throw out easily and not bind. (Maybe you ran down your battery working on your PTT?)
As far as the manual goes, I bought a Clymer manual right away while I waited for a factory service manual to arrive. Should have just waited, the Clymer was a complete waste of money comparatively. There is particularly very little information about the 850's in there. Haven't looked in a Seloc, but I don't expect much different there.
Good Luck!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tests are in "Outboard won't start" In the Engine FAQs Forum, efdog.

You almost certainly have a poor connection in the high current wiring between battery and starter. The worst offender is where the battery ground cable bolts to the engine.

Visual inspection and wiggling won't do. You must remove the connections and clean the terminals.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I saw your post in the FAQ's. Upon inspecting the starters ground cable as JB is referring to, it looks good, but after removing it noticed it has a vary small amount of debris/gunk. After a good cleaning, my problem is solved. I've saved some $ and headaches that to this forum...Thanks again for the replies!