'76 Merc 850 Timing Adjustment Screws?

BR

Seaman
I?ve just got this motor running after a long and undetermined amount of time sitting (> 5 years). I would like to verify the settings / adjustments for spark advance, idle speed, etc. I have read Clams? post on the procedure for the Merc inlines and have followed it with success for my older motor but it had a distributor so I?m in new territory w/ the alternator driven ignition of this ?76 model. I just need some help identifying / clarifying the various set screws and their functions before I proceed.

I know the bottom screw on the throttle arm is the idle stop screw. I also can see the stop for max. spark advance and that is obvious. The throttle stop also is obvious. What I need help with is the screw which adjusts the spacing between the throttle arm and the spark advance lever. Is this the screw to adjust at timing event one as described in Clams? post? Or does this screw adjust timing retard at idle? Also, I noticed that when I move the throttle arm to the first (minor) pickup position it just grazes the carb and doesn?t really open the shutters at all until the second throttle pickup which then opens them up fully when advanced fully. Is this normal?

Laddies

Banned
Re: '76 Merc 850 Timing Adjustment Screws?

That the way it works, at max spark it should just touch the pick up. Also the 850 timing is 27 degees max not 21 as the inline 6 cyls are.

BR

Seaman
Re: '76 Merc 850 Timing Adjustment Screws?

Thanks Laddies,

So what's the function of the screw which adjusts the space between the throttle arm and the spark advance lever? Maybe this becomes obvious when I start the procedure but I'm trying to visualize it ahead of time.