76 merc 20 hp not gettin feul to plugs.

i have a tiller handle 20 hp. its gettin fuel threw the carb but not to the plugs. i have spark and everything but it wont fire up unless i put a little fuel in the spark plug holes. then it will only run until that burns up. any idea what is wrong? im thinking reeds but dont know how to fix them. any help is appreciated thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 76 merc 20 hp not gettin feul to plugs.

I do you know its getting fuel through the carbs?

I am 95 percent sure its getting thru the carb. where is the adjustment screw on this model? There is only one screw i see. Usually there is like 2 or 3. is there a way a can get the reeds to stop sticking without takin the motor apart? and the top of the reeds had gas on them when i tried to pull start it. it fired up second pull with gas in the sparkplug holes

bktheking

Vice Admiral

What is the compression of the motor. Reeds generally don't act up unless water got onto them or a backfire bent them. How do you know gas is getting "through" the carb. Is it possible that the choke isn't working correctly? It will never start if the carb is plugged or the choke isn't working. An any modern day outboard, 60's and newer there was only one adjustment, idle adjustment screw. The highspeed is a fixed jet which has to be spotless in order to get fuel flow.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

just a thought, when i have any doubt about carb function i most often damp a rag well with gas....hold over the carb and turn engine over.... if it pops or runs then you know that it is a fuel issue, if it is a two stroke...and it fires immediately remove rag as NO OIL is being sent with gas just gas fumes from rag.

Sean