76 Merc 115 tell/tell or water flow

kenneymc

Seaman Apprentice
I bought this boat a few weeks ago. They guy I bought it from said that the water outlet or "pee" from right rear side of the engine was sort of sputtering out at idle and wanted it checked before i took ownership. Well the mechanic said he replaced the impeller in it. With the muffs on, it put out a decent stream at idle. I took it out for the first time this weekend and watched it. After 3 to 4 hours on and off of running it, i noticed it was not flowing out as well. This is when i trailered it and took it out. Back to the old sputtering i guess you could say, not a nice steady stream. Does the same on the muffs here at home now.<br /><br />Is this normal?? I read some other threads about it and some said yes and others no. I am just curious as to why it would change now. I have been trying to contact the mechanic, but he is out of town. Since this is an older boat it has had a lot of re-wiring done and I dont believe it has and overtemp alarm. It doesnt have a temp gauge for sure.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 76 Merc 115 tell/tell or water flow

Don't know on the older ones, but the '85 115 I have pees all the time and it also has a pressure gauge on it and it reads all the time, in water or on muffs.

kenneymc

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 76 Merc 115 tell/tell or water flow

Used my air compressor and blew out the lines on it. Now i am getting a good stream of water out on the muffs. Must have picked up some debris or something last Saturday on the lake.