76 Merc 115 Questions

kenneymc

Seaman Apprentice
Forgive me...my first boat.<br /><br />I have my SELOC manual and was looking over the power head, giving it an eyball, trying to become familiar with it.<br /><br />What are the covers on the port/starboard sides of the power head called? I ask because I put a wrench on them and they seemed loose, so i snugged them up a bit. One on port side at the very rear bottom leaked a drop of water every 5-10 seconds when i first crank it. Once it idles a couple of minutes it seems to seal off and quit.<br /><br />Second, Below the cowling, on the drive shaft of the motor i guess, on the rear side there are two square shaped holes. What are they called? I get what appears to be exhaust out of them. At idle, the Stbd one spits just a little bit of water every now and then. If I take my hand and cover the exhaust out the center of the prop, I get a lot more water running out of it. But the port one stays dry. <br /><br />3rd - there is a very small line that runs from a small port at the top of the power head just rear of the flywheel on stbd side, down along stbd side of motor, behind fuel pump, and appears to attach to the power head again at the bottom. I found it was cracked at top where it connects, and cut end off and reattached it. Not sure about the bottom connection as I can barely see it. What signifigance is this small tube, what does it do?<br /><br />Sorry so long, just didnt want several posts.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: 76 Merc 115 Questions

Originally posted by kenneymc:<br />Second, Below the cowling, on the drive shaft of the motor i guess, on the rear side there are two square shaped holes. What are they called? I get what appears to be exhaust out of them. At idle, the Stbd one spits just a little bit of water every now and then. If I take my hand and cover the exhaust out the center of the prop, I get a lot more water running out of it. But the port one stays dry. <br />
Perfectly normal. Those holes are for exhaust, water comes out too.

kenneymc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, ZmOz.<br /><br />Anyone know what the port/stbd covers are called/used for?<br /><br />How bout the small tube i described?<br /><br />Thanks....

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The port side is the exhaust manifold cover. The starboard side has 3 intake covers.<br /><br />I'm not sure without looking at my motors but the small line may be a water line to the tell tale?

kenneymc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Ken.<br /><br />Small line is not to the tell/tell though. That one comes off a tee on the rear of the motor. <br /><br />The line in question is very small in diameter. Maybe size of pencil lead or little bigger.

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the tube running from top to bottom on the stbd side is a fuel/oil recirculation valve that aids in lubrication among other things (just what I've heard). Mine was cracked also on my 74 1500. You can pull it off and take it to your local auto parts store and they can give you some matching vacuum line for about $2.00. It is a little tricky attaching the bottom end but doable in several minutes.