76 evinrude choke trouble

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My auto choke seems to be working fine until I turn over the engine and it pops the choke plates back up to no choke. I have tried adjusting the auto choke in and out of the sleeve but no matter were I put it the keep popping back up. Works great if I use it manually but it sucks taking of motor cover on first start up. Now Im lost at what to do to fix it. Its a 76 70 hp 70673D. Thanks for any and all help

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Check the linkage at the solenoid, along with the ground. If "push to choke", could be the keyswitch. Check the wiring.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Bad key switch? Check input voltage at choke switch when key is turned to Start.

EDIT: Could even be wrong key switch (one that disconnects the "A" terminal when cranking). If that is the case, connect choke input to key switch "I" terminal.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its not push to choke on mine it has a seperate switch for the choke and yes Im holding switch on. linkage all looks okay. I will check the ground cause I know its hooked up but that does not mean its good. Have had my fair share of things like that. Thanks for all the quick replys:) Oh and key switch is new and it does have push to choke but if I use the push to choke it would blow the fuse. Thats why the seperate switch witch makes me think F_R could be right

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You should be looking into why the fuse blows.-----Look for bare wire.----Ohm test the choke solenoid.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The fuse dont blow with the separate switch but Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Something's goofy with the wiring on those switches. Sorry, I don't know what.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Sounds offhand like you need to disconnect and tape off the choke solenoid wire at the key switch.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My guess is I bought the switch for my force 85 that has push to choke and my evinrude does not have it so I might have the wrong switch and when I turn the key on it makes everything haywire. Will find out more tomorrow when I have time to check but Thanks for all answers

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bad key switch? Check input voltage at choke switch when key is turned to Start.

EDIT: Could even be wrong key switch (one that disconnects the "A" terminal when cranking). If that is the case, connect choke input to key switch "I" terminal.

Its been along time since I posted about fixing my choke which I just did today. and I would like to thank F_R for solving the problem and I cant believe how long I have been removing the cover which aint that easy on the water when the fix that F_R recommended took about two minutes. Thanks everyone who tried and super thanks to F_R :)