76 135hp v4 tilt n trim not doing anything

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
in a previous thread i was asking how to check the tilt and trim and i got some good responces. i have checked it by connecting it straight to the battery. <br /><br />i am getting nothing. what is the next step that i have to do to see if this thing is able to be rebuilt??? i really want to avoid buying a new one.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br /><br />dan

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 76 135hp v4 tilt n trim not doing anything

First thing we need to know, 3 or 2 wire motor and which wires did you connect to the battery?

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its got three wires coming out of the motor. black(ground), green, and blue. i guess that if the ground does not count then i have two wires. i did it both ways<br /><br />i grounded the ground and then hooked up the green or blue wire to the positive. NOTHING<br /><br />i placed black wire to the negative and blue or green to the positive. NOTHING.<br /><br />i hope i was doing it correctly<br /><br />let me know if there is other way.<br /><br />thanks

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

You have a 3 wire motor and yes you connected it correctly. Sounds like you'll need to replace the motor. That is if the battery was not dead. ;) <br />BTW, I asked about whether it was a 3 or 2 wire because sometimes people connect the 2 wire motors incorrectly and then think they have a bad motor. Not me of course, that other guy. :D

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i was thinking that is what i need to do..bummer...<br /><br />thanks for the help willamettejeff

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In addition to the above (willamettejeff) which I agree with, hopefully you simply have a bad circuit breaker within that electric motor or faulty brushes, or a dirty amature commutator that the brushes ride upon.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well, what would you guys do?? replace the motor or try to fix it. i dont want to take time and money to try and fix it if im not going to be able to get the thing working. could someone help me find the the part number for a repair kit and the replacement motor. i dont have my manual handy.<br /><br />thanks

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Yah, what Joe says to look at first. I should have suggested those things to you myself. Didn't know about the circuit breaker though. Thanks Joe. As for repairing or replacing, those motors can be very expensive. Might want to try to repair first. I'm sorry, I don't know the information your asking for. Check out Ishopmarine.com. Click on parts list button and drill down to your motor. Then look for tilt/trim parts list.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks williamettejeffe and joe, going to check it out soon and see what happens from there.<br /><br /><br />thanks

solidwaste75

Seaman Apprentice

good luck I spent the better part of a week trying to get my old 72 motor to work and sometimes to replace the parts cost more than just buying a new motor..But good luck I hope you have better luck than me..

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

There was two different motor/reservoir assemblies used on that TNT unit....If yours has the reservoir with fins on it (Prestolite) you can still get the head and brush assembly for around $59 from a John/Rude dealer. Be better than paying $270+ for a new motor. <br /><br />Both motor reservoir assemblies superceded to PN 172655.<br /><br />On the prestolite motor, the cable came out of the side of the motor. On the other motor, the cable came out the top. <br /><br />Checked through the iboats store and really couldn't find a match for your application. You might try a local NAPA store...Sierra may carry a replacement. Any motor unit that will fit PN's 172850, 172847 or 172655 will work.<br /><br />Good luck!

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks solidwaste and OBJ, the help is appreciated. ill have to check and see which one is mine. havent looked at it in a couple of days <br /><br />thanks again