76 115 evinrude tilt wont fully rise URGENT

promotec

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys havent used my boat for 6 months, have to sell it getting it ready and cleaned out for selling and find when trying to tilt the motor fully up it only goes half way and then the motor sounds to be labouring as thought
some thing is restricting its full travell up, I know what it sounds like when
the resavoir is low on oil the motor speads up and its obvious its low on oil
this sounds different it labours when it gets to a certain point, as though the tilt lock or something is stopping its full travel, I have had the wife operate the tilt switch while i lift the motor from the bottom of the leg, and its solid. on the left of the motor just inside the transom bracket theres the tilt lever it goes back and forth as it should just beside that there is a bracket with different positions on it (from memory) this has caught me out before but i cant remember quite how now I think I have had a simlar problem way back. Can anybody shed some light on this for me as I was going to put the boat on ebay tonight, but cant untill soughting this out. I have a manual but the manual doesnt cover the operation of the tilt level and bracket next to it.
Im pretty sure this is what is restricting the travel fully up.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 76 115 evinrude tilt wont fully rise URGENT

not sure about the 76 but the newer one use 2 set of rams, the 2 lower are for trim and only go so high, then the center ram takes over and tilts the engine on up. if it is like the one in this picture, i'd guess the tilt ram is frozen.

Attachments

• MVC-059S.jpg
    MVC-059S.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Look at the tilt motor from the rear of the boat- just under it is the pump. At the bottom of the the pump there are two screws. The screw on the left is a manual release screw. If you loosen that screw, you can manually tilt the motor up and down and see what may be obstructing the movement.

Even though the pump does not sound like it, it may be low on fluid - cannot hurt to add some and cycle the unit up and down.​

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Ezeke

unfortunately it isnt that easy, that screw is badly coroded and half broken
so cant be turned :-( with the motor partially tilted up I have checked fluid and when Im near removing the filler screw fluid does run out, I have had it low before and it squeals and the motor t&t motor goes faster.
this is as though something is physically stopping it I have included pic of the bracket under the tilt lever on the left side looking from the back this normally flops in and out it doesnt at the moment it doesnt thats why I thought this may be impeeding the full upward tildt maybe someone with similar setup would know if this would stop the motor tilting fully up.
its the t&t with two big rams one either side on outside of transom brackets and two smaller rams inside of transom brackets, the bracket I am talking about I think is the one the tilt lever
moves in and out

Regards Chris

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
  • www 001.jpg
    www 001.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral

If something that normally moves isn't moving, then I'd suspect that as the problem. Liberal applications of penetrating oil and some manual jiggling will probably free it up if it is that bracket or lever or whatever that normally "flops" up or out or whatever.

Sounds like that 6 months has taken its toll in rust and corrosion. I can see a bunch of rust around that area in your photos.

I'm betting that if you can free up that particular item, you'll be home free, at least temporarily.

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

Just been playing again and think the bracket just locks the motor when fully tilted up, so probably not this thats stopping the motor going up, reading through the manual the trim is about 15 degrees and the tilt accounts for the other 50 degrees of movement so maybe it is the tilt rams ceazed im not really sure which is which off hand, the big rams on the outside of the transom brackets or the smaller rams on inside of transom bracket, I think its the smaller ones on the inside of transom brackets for tilt outside ones for the trim, not quite sure

Regards Chris

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You could just unbolt the two piston rams at the engine end [Top]. That will free the motor to swivel up manually.​

tashasdaddy

this is wrong, ezeke corrected me. sorry. the newer one do this.
the outside are tilt, the inside are trim, the inside on move about 15 degrees, then the outside take on up.

but this might work
release the outside rams, tilt the motor up, and see whats wrong. sounds like you have a or both big rams bad. get the weight off them and maybe they will free up. if you get the weight off one of the rams may go on up, then you know the other is bad, holding the good ram in place.

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

thanks ezeke, site was down for a while.

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Guys
im not trying to be a smart ***, but there are definately two rams inside the transom brackets as well as the two larger ones on the outside. model number
is 115693G, this isnt to say that the trim/tilt may be off another model.
Well I decided to release the top bolts on the outer rams to see if I could manually lift the motor, but it appears that I have snapped the bolt its still in there so will leave it there, a bit dissapointing as now I have to sell the boat with the tilt trim not working properly which will seriously effect resell value.
Thanks for the help guys much appreciated ifanyone has any other suggestions as to why the tilt wont lift I would be interested to hear it in a hope of trying to rectify the situation even a little bit prior to sale.

Thanks guys much appreciated

Kind regards Chris

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Chris, Sorry that did not work for you, however the two devices located between the transom brackets are shock absorbers which are part of the midsection and not part of the Power Tilt & Trim. You will notice that they have no hydraulic lines.

Good luck with your sale.​

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

Ok yes that makes sence, good catch ezeke thankyou so much for your help

fireman_103

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 76 115 and the trim was doing the same for me. I had taken on water somehow. I had the motor rebuilt by a friend and it is as good as new.