"75 85hp Evinrude

paul2112

Seaman
Ok guys, new guy to the boating scene and have a few questions. I have aquired a nice project boat that came with a '75 85hp Evinrude...I checked the compression,all cyls 120+ compression.. I am going to change the lower unit oil..All hoses and wiring looks good.. Anything else you guys think I need to do/check before I fire it up? And from what I have read its a 50:1 oil/gas ratio right..Thanks again everyone....Paul

clint

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re:

Re:

Well I do recomend a carb rebuild only because you dont know the history of use of this motor. How long it might have sat and if fuel had been sitting in those carbs for a while. You have a 50:1 oil/gas fuel mix for that engine. Make sure you start out with new spark plugs also. Good Luck!
Clint 8)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re:

Re:

T-stats, t-stats, t-stats......d:) (get the words of endearment over now before the start of the next boating season)

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
Re:

Re:

paul2112 said:
.All hoses and wiring looks good..

Wires and hoses on a 30+ y/o motor that "look good" often are not. Remove EVERY wire one at a time, clean with emory cloth and re attach.

I'd also replace every rubber hose now. They get stiff and leak air.

Open the insulation somewhere back on those battery cables and inspect the wire.

paul2112

Seaman
Re:

Re:

paul2112 said:
Ok guys, new guy to the boating scene and have a few questions. I have aquired a nice project boat that came with a '75 85hp Evinrude...I checked the compression,all cyls 120+ compression.. I am going to change the lower unit oil..All hoses and wiring looks good.. Anything else you guys think I need to do/check before I fire it up? And from what I have read its a 50:1 oil/gas ratio right..Thanks again everyone....Paul