74 v4 115hp no fire on #2 cyl

starflite115

Cadet
i have replaced the #2 coil and the power pack and still no fire. i dont know where the coil gets its signal to fire from so i dont really know what to check for. any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated. thanks, justin

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 74 v4 115hp no fire on #2 cyl

is the coil not grounded or maybe not getting a good ground? the coil get it's signal from the powerpack, like a distributor, and the powerpack get's it's signals from the armature plate under flywheel via sensor coil and charge coil

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

you may have a broken or damaged wire elsewhere that may be grounding to the engine and thus losing that particular signal to fire #2 coil

starflite115

Cadet

would it be correct to say if the armature plate or sensor coils or charge coils were bad there would be no fire to any cylinder as opposed to a single cylinder? what are the sensor coils and charge coils exactly? im new to the marine engine scene so im not sure of the components just yet. thanks again

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The charge coils would effect all cylinders, A bad sensor would effect 2 cylinders, 1 & 3, or 2 & 4. The charge coils send primary voltage to the pak, which is sent on to the primary side of the coil. The sensors' trigger the pack to send the voltage to the proper coil. If you have replaced the pack, and coil, do what has already been suggested, check wiring, and ground to the coil. Try this! hook the wire going to #4 coil from the pack, to #2 coil, and see if you now have spark. If you don't, there is something wrong with #2 coil. If you do, you could have a faulty pack. Also make sure the pack is well grounded.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

A bad sensor would affect two cylinders. A faulty stator/charge coil would have a effect on all cylinders.<br /><br />In all probability, the powerpack has developed a faulty SWR switch, something of that nature.<br /><br />However, before replacing the powerpack, check the wire leading from the timer base (sensor) that pertains to the coil that isn't firing. There may be a break in it.<br /><br />To test the coil that isn't firing, simply switch the orange wire from the powerpack that feeds that non firing coil with a orange wire from one that is firing. If the coil fires, obviously it's okay.

starflite115

Cadet

i swapped the coil wire on the power pack and it does fire. i will try to check the #2 sensor wire for a good signal. does anyone know where that wire hooks to? i will do a little testing tonight and let you know what i find. thanks again for the help.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If you take the cover off the pack, you will see where all the wires go. The sensor wires are black, and white. They are numbered with a little plastic collar around the wire. The coil wires are orange, they are also numbered. There should be a diagram on the cover to show where each wire goes. If you had a bad sensor, you would also would not have fire on #4. Check the wire, and terminal going to that #2 coil.

starflite115

Cadet

well all my wires are making contact to there correct location. the only two i was not sure about was the wire that goes from one charging coil (on the stator) to the other. i have continuity from the two power pack terminals to the front of the two charge coils but not the wire that connects them. or is it only when it picks up a signal when the flywheel is turning? the other wire i not sure of is the blk/yellow wire on the power pack (second row first position).it goes into the big red cannon plug for the engine harness but i dont know where it goes from there or its purpose. i thought i was on a roll but im at a lose again. any ideas?

starflite115

Cadet

do you think theres a chance the new power pack could be bad? can i use my multimeter to get a reading off the power pack to see if its firing the coil and does the meter need to be set to A/C to do that? thanks again

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The black-yellow wire is the kill, or short wire that shut's the ignition off. No! you can't use your multimeter to check the out-put from the pack. You need a peak reading volt meter to do that. Your new pack could be bad, it does'nt happen often, but it does happen. I had an earlier post on an adapter to change your multimeter to a peak reading volt meter. Every thing on your system is checking out. If you had a charge coil problem, you would have no spark at all, a sensor problem would effect two cylinders. A coil problem would effect one cylinder, or a faulty SCR in the pack would effect one cylinder. With out being there to help, can you try a different pack. Let us know what you find.

starflite115

Cadet

i have another new power pack that will be here in the morning and i will let everyone know what happens. thanks again for all the help guys!

starflite115

Cadet

well guys the new power pack still didn't fix the problem. im not sure what to try next. does anyone know what it takes to convert my digital multimeter to a peak reading meter? i have a Snap On MT 586 if it matters, or do you think this will even help me at all? my plan was to try reading the signals from the sensors and power pack if its possible through this method. what do you guys think? thanks again for the help!

starflite115

Cadet

r.johnson sir, how do i go about finding your article on the multimeter conversion? thanks alot, justin

starflite115

Cadet

thanks dolluper for the link! does anyone know the trobleshooting tree for the stator and the sensors? and does this require the conversion to do so? thanks everyone

o8er

Recruit

I have a '98 Johnson 200 with a similar problem - no fire on plugs 2 and 4. I suspect something common to both. What is the sensor coil you are referring to? My manual refers to a timing sensor. Is this what you mean?<br /><br />Interesting thing is the '98 200HP has separate ignition coils for each plug (I think but can't verify until this weekend). I have a '93 175HP at home that I looked at and it has one coil for every pair of plugs. If the 200 was like this that's what I'd suspect.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just wanted to subscribe to this thread. I am having a similiar problem on my 3cyl 65hp and I wanted to follow your progress. I replaced the ign. coils and the powerpack. Still getting no spark at WOT on #2 cyl. <br /><br />If I have a sensor that went bad on a 3cylinder engine could it affect only the #2 cylinder since there is no #4 cyl?